Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protective film over some AP 2 sensors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my new 100D done with SunTek paint protective film.

Now, AP 2 will still engage and lane track/follow cars correctly, but it will not change lanes. I can hold the turn stalk for a loong time, but the car will not change lanes. I've tested this a number of times with no traffic anywhere near me.

The front sensors don't seem to be impacted, as I still get the distance countdown when pulling up to a barrier.

Which sensors are used by AP 2 for lane changes? Once I know that, I know which ones to have the installer remove the film from.

FWIW, I had the same film coverage on my previous 90D including the B pillar between the front and rear doors, and AP 1 had no problems changing lanes.

So you've wrapped the panels with a transparent film, right? In which case, I'm sure you covered only the painted parts, not the cameras themselves. Which means you're down to the radar and the sonars. They shouldn't be affected at all by a thin plastic film like that. So I'm guessing software issue, loose connectors issue or something else, not wrap issue.

With no special warning messages in your IC the whole thing seems odd

So I called Tesla Service in Scottsdale. They pull the logs, and do see some attempts to change lanes.

But what I learned/was told was that this is an AP 2 car, and as of now, AP 2 will only change lanes on limited-access highways. My failed attempts were on quiet roads, but those roads were not "limited-access."

My bad; I thought I knew the differences between Ap 1 and 2, but I was nbot aware of this one.

The protective film had nothing to do with the failed lane changes.