TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Proterra Electric Bus

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by dpeilow, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

From the article:
    That is a measly range. I suspect this bus will be used for a pre-defined route and won't venture out of town. The '10 minute' charger hookup will probably just be at 'home base'. I wouldn't get my hopes up much for this to drive installation of a big 'network' of chargers just yet.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Even with a 30-40 mile range, a bus like that could prove quite useful. For instance, a corporate shuttle between different 'campus' buildings. Or a parking lot shuttle between an events center and the parking lots. Or even as a sight-seeing tour bus for a historic downtown area.

I don't see it being used for 'long haul' though. People wouldn't appreciate 10+ stops (one every 20 minutes) if they tried to hop between 10 minute charges every 30 miles between SF and LA for instance.

The high speed rail plan with power lines over the tracks will be a better way to go for long distance.

4. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Yeah anyone have any idea what distance a typical city bus travels in a shift.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

In the comments in the article I think people mentioned a city bus route usually doesn't exceed ~25 miles.

I think this is still more useful for the city in places where it's not possible to install overhead wires and use the standard electric trolley bus (which basically is perfect for most areas of cities).

For longer ranges, trains make a lot more sense for public transit.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#6 dpeilow, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Yeah I posted an article a long time back about buses in London 100 years ago doing a morning's work, swapping batteries, then continuing for the afternoon. They had around a 38 mile range.

7. domenick

domenick Nerd

I'm not sure what size pack the bus has but I suspect the 10 minute / 30 to 40 miles numbers means it has about 35kWh. The bus can do a greater dod than the Tesla pack and can make good use of it brake regen they say is 90+ percent efficient.

I have read where they can give the buses a bigger pack for a longer range. I hope to find out more about these guys.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

35kWh seems to be the 'standard size' for the Altairnano pack that can do 10 minute charges.

9. Kevin Harney

so put 2 in the Roadster :biggrin: Charge both at the same time in 10 minutes .... LOL Like two tanks on a large truck,

10. Kevin Harney

or even 1 20 minute charge would be a significant improvement

11. Joseph

Joseph Member

The reason the range is so bad can probably be attirbuted to its altairnano batteries. Dpeilow's London buses put this bus in perspective.

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

13. Serge

Serge Member

ensign.jpg
    Altairnano Batteries Make Proterra A Magic Bus
    Some interesting numbers there; calculations I did for hydrogen fuel cell buses (for Vancouver Winder Olympics) work out to around $4-5M a piece. Add to it infrastructure, hydrogen and extra insurance of course :cool:

Proterra should approach MTA, who operates the largest hybrid bus fleet in the world.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

That's awesome. Should replace all those dirty city buses with something like this. Wonder how much regen they're getting, though. I keep hearing the pneumatic brakes.

Btw, instead of an inductive charging pad under the car, I'd prefer a similar kind of passive self alignment scheme for the lazy.

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Looks like it stalled out or quit working towards the end of the video going through a puddle!

18. DarkStar

DarkStar Member

It was stopping for the railroad tracks.

19. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Never Mind!

20. domenick

domenick Nerd

#20 domenick, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    We're supposed to get a couple of these in Tallahassee sometime this summer. I'll be taken a ride.