Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proterra Electric Bus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Proterra touring California with fast-charging electric bus - AutoblogGreen

proterra-composite-bus.jpg

Maybe this can trailblaze a 10 minute charger network?

Maybe this can trailblaze a 10 minute charger network?

From the article:
...achieve a range between 30 and 40 miles...

That is a measly range. I suspect this bus will be used for a pre-defined route and won't venture out of town. The '10 minute' charger hookup will probably just be at 'home base'. I wouldn't get my hopes up much for this to drive installation of a big 'network' of chargers just yet.

Even with a 30-40 mile range, a bus like that could prove quite useful. For instance, a corporate shuttle between different 'campus' buildings. Or a parking lot shuttle between an events center and the parking lots. Or even as a sight-seeing tour bus for a historic downtown area.

I don't see it being used for 'long haul' though. People wouldn't appreciate 10+ stops (one every 20 minutes) if they tried to hop between 10 minute charges every 30 miles between SF and LA for instance.

The high speed rail plan with power lines over the tracks will be a better way to go for long distance.

Yeah anyone have any idea what distance a typical city bus travels in a shift.

In the comments in the article I think people mentioned a city bus route usually doesn't exceed ~25 miles.

I think this is still more useful for the city in places where it's not possible to install overhead wires and use the standard electric trolley bus (which basically is perfect for most areas of cities).

For longer ranges, trains make a lot more sense for public transit.

I'm not sure what size pack the bus has but I suspect the 10 minute / 30 to 40 miles numbers means it has about 35kWh. The bus can do a greater dod than the Tesla pack and can make good use of it brake regen they say is 90+ percent efficient.

I have read where they can give the buses a bigger pack for a longer range. I hope to find out more about these guys.

ensign.jpg

Altairnano Batteries Make Proterra A Magic Bus
Despite the estimated cost of around $1 million per Proterra — about twice the cost of a comparable diesel bus — Copeland says that transit agencies can look at the overall cost of ownership for cost savings. The average diesel bus gets no better than 4 MPG, while the Proterra averages an equivalent MPG of 15-21. That’s not to mention the lifestyle benefits that cities gain from electric buses that don’t belch diesel fumes and that — lacking an engine compartment — are ten feet shorter than comparable 37-passenger diesel

Some interesting numbers there; calculations I did for hydrogen fuel cell buses (for Vancouver Winder Olympics) work out to around $4-5M a piece. Add to it infrastructure, hydrogen and extra insurance of course :cool:

Proterra should approach MTA, who operates the largest hybrid bus fleet in the world.