Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protesting the BC CEV incentive cut off of $77,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there were some posts about this, but I think we British Columbia members should protest the $77,000 cutoff for the current CEV program (as of March 2, 2016).

I just sent this email to the ministry email contact for this ([email protected]).

I've copied my email here since I hope I made salient points and others might also take up the drive. I've already benefited from the program, so it's not really for me (although I'm really tempted to upgrade soon! :)).

===========
To: [email protected]

I strongly question the cut off of $77,000 for the CEV incentive. It pointedly excludes the Tesla Model S and X -- while I realize many feel these are the cars for the weathly, currently they are the only BEVs with useful long range, thus addressing in a more comprehensive manner a reduction in fossil fuels.

If the goal of the CEV program is to reduce fossil fuel usage, then it shouldn't discriminate against specific cars, and definitely should not exclude cars that can actually be used for longer distance trips -- all other non Tesla BEVs on market cannot reduce the use of fossil fuels for distance travel.

Excluding these cars is actually encouraging the use of a fuel burning vehicle for longer distances. Even if people buy a Leaf or Volt, they can't make long distance trips, thus need to rent, borrow, or buy a separate gasoline vehicle for longer distance trips. This isn't necessary in a Tesla, thus long distance trips in a Tesla remain an emissions free proposition.

Many have stated the EV incentive allowed them to stretch to a Tesla, thus achieving the primary goal of the program to keep another fossil fuel car off the road. This was my own personal thought process when I benefited from the program and bought a Model S in 2013, and it steered me away from a similarly priced luxury vehicle from BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

Teslas are still subject to the luxury taxes, so there are still significant taxes for the government.

Every Model S or X sold means less use of premium fuels when compared to other vehicles in the same size and price class, and larger luxury vehicles and SUVs are generally less fuel efficient than smaller cars. People buying in this price segment are not generally sensitive to the cost of fuel for their vehicle (thus fuel consumption isn't a large priority in this market segment). With current low gas prices, people aren't swayed by gas price and thus fuel consumption is a distant concern.

Teslas are also ambassador cars: they are aspirational and raise awareness and desirability for electric vehicles: witness the massive numbers of Model 3 preorders that happened just on the strength of the Tesla brand. Teslas get people talking about EVs, and seeing more on the road makes people see that BEVs are desirable and practical. While expensive, Tesla Model S and X purchases help sustain the development of the lower cost Model 3.

Unfortunately Model 3 won't ship for at least 2 years, so it'll be a while before a desirable lower cost, long range BEV will be available (the Chevy Bolt won't likely be as desirable compared to the Model 3).

More Teslas on the road will inspire more people to move to full BEV's and better address the issue of fossil fuel consumption than lower range cars. If the goal of the CEV program is to lower emissions, then you must include Teslas. Cancelling the rebate for these cars seems a political move rather than a move to address the primary mandate of the program.

I strongly urge you to reconsider the price cutoff.

=========

One error, a Volt can make long distance trips due to it's gas engine that kicks in after the battery runs out. Maybe you meant Bolt?

The problem is they are targeting the wrong thing. Just like taxing gas to pay for roads, the wrong thing is being targeted. Fuel doesn't degrade roads, traffic does. They should be taxing miles driven.

In this case (the BC cutoff), what's the point? To make sure the credit goes primarily to lower income buyers? Then why isn't it looking at personal income instead of vehicle price? It makes no sense.

Sometimes I think the average politician is just...not very smart. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Reactions: Jaff and McRat
One error, a Volt can make long distance trips due to it's gas engine that kicks in after the battery runs out. Maybe you meant Bolt?

The problem is they are targeting the wrong thing. Just like taxing gas to pay for roads, the wrong thing is being targeted. Fuel doesn't degrade roads, traffic does. They should be taxing miles driven.

In this case (the BC cutoff), what's the point? To make sure the credit goes primarily to lower income buyers? Then why isn't it looking at personal income instead of vehicle price? It makes no sense.

Sometimes I think the average politician is just...not very smart. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

You are far too polite Skotty! ;)

FWIW, I emailed my two local MLA's when the 77k cutoff appeared. They responded with mumbles about serving the people who need it most. I responded with a demonstration of the luxury tax grabbed by the sale of a Model S vs. regular tay on a Leaf. And then factored in the rebate to show that they could actually fund a couple of Leaf rebates by selling (and rebating) one Model S.

I was told they were putting the question to the department responsible, but no surprise, I've heard nothing since. I suppose I should do a follow up on that and press for a meaningful response.

However, Christie rolled up to the big press conference in a Volt, with the head of the New Car Dealer Association in the passenger seat, so it's pretty clear the fix is in and this is a protectionist move. They won't change anything, because they get too much in the way of political donations from corporations to risk upsetting them. BC is apparently the last province to allow unlimited donation to political parties by corporations...

All the snorting at the trough will drown out the sound of our protestations...

It's actually worse than that.

Big B.C. Liberal donor administers $46 million in provincial electric car incentives

What that article shows is, the New Car Dealers Association accepted transfer payments to fund and 'administer' the EV rebate program. And coincidentally, the 1.42 million dollars it took to administer the program equates to a little more than the 1.3 the NCDA contributed to the Liberals over the last few years.

Where I come from, that's called money-laundering. Taxpayer money funnelled to the NCDA, who 'donate' almost the same amount to the governing party. Essentially, taxpayer money funding Liberal fundraising ventures.

I got my rebate the year before the cap went on. I don't recall any significant work on the part of the Tesla employees to 'administer' the rebated. And they certainly didn't complain about the excessive work. $1.42 million to look after the program seems... generous...

After my earlier post in this thread, I got a verbal comment back from the government (the transportation minister was from my riding - he lost that post today with the change in government). It related a story about how someone bought a Porsche 918 hybrid and collected a $2,500 rebate on a million dollar car. The 'optics' of that were really terrible I was told. Really? Given that purchaser had to pay the luxury sales tax of 10% on that car... and the government raked in $100,000 on the purchase, I really don't begrudge the guy his $2,500 rebate. Meanwhile, the only car that can legitimately displace an ICE is the Tesla, and it gets nothing. The cap sits just above the XC90 Volvo, about the most expensive car other than a 918 or i8 that would otherwise be eligible. Coincidence? I think not.

It's not about putting EV's on the road, it's about rewarding donors and perhaps even laundering some of the donations.

Reactions: techmaven
I wrote a similar letter to my MPP when they reduced the EV rebate from 8k to 3k in Ontario. It is currently 14k...

Point is this...the ultimate goal of the program is emissions reduction. Therefore the price of the car should have no bearing on the incentive. Here is the reality...I waited until the 14k rebate came until I bought my car. That gave me sufficient incentive and I am sure there are many more out there like me.

Politicians suck.

Point is this...the ultimate goal of the program is emissions reduction. Therefore the price of the car should have no bearing on the incentive. Here is the reality...I waited until the 14k rebate came until I bought my car. That gave me sufficient incentive and I am sure there are many more out there like me.

Yes. And as far as I'm concerned, hybrids shouldn't even be on the list, plug-in or not. The point should be to displace an ICE, not simply marginally offset it... and a hybrid is almost the same thing as buying a full BEV and keeping your ICE on the road.

If they're really worried about optics, the rebate could instead be a percentage of MSRP, to a maximum... meaning that Tesla buyers are then seen as getting a lesser deal - even though the lump sum rebate amounted to the same thing... it's about optics!.

Politicians suck.

Yes... Yes, they do.

And as far as I'm concerned, hybrids shouldn't even be on the list, plug-in or not. The point should be to displace an ICE, not simply marginally offset it... and a hybrid is almost the same thing as buying a full BEV and keeping your ICE on the road.

If they're really worried about optics, the rebate could instead be a percentage of MSRP, to a maximum... meaning that Tesla buyers are then seen as getting a lesser deal - even though the lump sum rebate amounted to the same thing... it's about optics.
I would say the point really is to give an incentive to consider an EV by reducing the purchase price and to provide awareness they do exist as a viable means of transportation.

I would hope to see an income cap vs. MSRP. California has done this and it makes sense if you are going to cap, at least make it fair. People stretching to buy shouldn't be punished.

I would hope to see an income cap vs. MSRP. California has done this and it makes sense if you are going to cap, at least make it fair. People stretching to buy shouldn't be punished.

Another reason income cap would be fairer than MSRP is that one-car families would not be penalized.

As it stands now in Quebec, a couple could buy two loaded i3 REx for $130,000 and receive two full rebates for a total of $16,000.
However, if they decide a single car + bicycle and/or mass transit meets their needs and purchase a $126,000 Tesla they get zero rebate, because supposedly they are "too rich" and don't need incentives. (When the S60 was available for $85,000 recently they would have been eligible for a $3,000 rebate).

• Helpful
Reactions: Paul Carter