Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prototype Red vs Signature Red (vs Sunset Red)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That doesn't sound right - the paint supplier can get 9 other colors ready, but it takes them 10 months (Sunset was at the June event, so I 'm counting June to April) to build a batch of Sunset, a color that Tesla has long touted as not being available until 2013? Especially if the supplier is one of the big 3 in automotive - DuPont, PPG or BASF - and not one of the smaller ones.
From the TM forums:
BETTER green | Forums | Tesla Motors
westerndh | June 27, 2012
GeorgeB told me at the event that BASF, the paint supplier for this red, needs at least 6 months to supply the paint. There's so many steps to produce and no short cuts and that Sunset Red should be ready around April / May 2013.

Last edited:

I am sure that is accurate HOWEVER there is nothing stopping Tesla from putting in their order in 2011 so they have paint on hand today.

The decision to delay Sunset Red was 100% marketing driven in order to encourage people to go Signature in order to get the Signature Red and keep it exclusive for 9 months or so.

I am sure that is accurate HOWEVER there is nothing stopping Tesla from putting in their order in 2011 so they have paint on hand today.

The decision to delay Sunset Red was 100% marketing driven in order to encourage people to go Signature in order to get the Signature Red and keep it exclusive for 9 months or so.

?? Paranoia. Probably the specific hue wasn't even chosen till this year. There have been many reds floating about, and who knows what hoops they put themselves through selecting one.

There are more distinctive shades of red than any other color, in fact almost as many as all the others combined. Hoomons are very sensitive to it, prob'ly for social (skin tone) and nutritional (ripeness and decay of food) evolutionary reasons.

Also, brown is actually just a variant of red -- mixed with black.

Nah. Use reverse psychology. Confide in everyone that you hope they don't catch on because you want to remain as special and exclusive as possible, not having all the hoi-polloi Tom, Dick, and Harriets driving them, too!

:tongue::rolleyes::biggrin:

Not sure what you're trying to say with this post. I'm not saying I don't want another red around to make myself feel special, just that keeping the red color exclusive to the Signature for 2012 may have been part of their marketing strategy.

Not sure what you're trying to say with this post. I'm not saying I don't want another red around to make myself feel special, just that keeping the red color exclusive to the Signature for 2012 may have been part of their marketing strategy.

I was referring to your "hope to persuade" comment. Telling your friends/prospects that the car is actually too good for them and you want to keep it exclusive is likely to stampede them to the sales office to reserve! :wink:

As for Signature exclusivity and the narrowness of color selections, recall that they have exactly ONE Paint Center, and adding to its repertoire is probably a fairly heavy duty exercise, not to be taken lightly.

Wow, remember when people used to post reservation numbers in this thread? Those were the good old days...

Moderators: Perhaps the following postings would be more appropriate in the Prototype Red vs Signature Red (vs Sunset Red) thread.

** SNIP **

Just a thought to help get things back on track.

Larry

Mod Note: These posts moved from the reservation thread. Thanks Larry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it may have had more to day with making the Signature Red more exclusive. If they made the Sunset Red available in October right after the Signature run, it might have led some people who didn't care what color red the car was to downgrade.

]

I completely agree that the delay is due to Tesla wanting Sig Red to be exclusive - my point was that the timeline was not out of Tesla's control or a result of the supplier needing extra time to gather "ingredients".

Exactly - If George B was quoted in June as needing 6 months, then all they have to do is order it and it's ready by Jan 2013. I'm sure the paint center knows it's coming and will be ready for it.

Last edited: