Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Providing skateboards to ALL the other companies (Chuck Jr.s idea)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure if the last two posts are directed at me or someone else but it’s important to keep in mind how incredibly ambitious Tesla’s goals of making 20 million EVs per year and the 2 terawatt hours of batteries per year for these EVs and storage are.

Tesla has emphasized on many occasions that the limiting factor to its growth is battery production. Elon explained it again on the recent earnings conference call. (Excerpt below).

Every GWh of batteries Tesla can reasonably produce is needed for Tesla products for the foreseeable future.

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Q4 2019 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Gene Munster -- Loup Ventures -- Analyst

Good afternoon and congratulations on the progress. First question related to Cybertruck, you mentioned you'll sell as many as you can make. Can you remind me how many you think you can make and any thoughts on the cost of production for making those Cybertrucks?

Elon Musk -- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Yeah. I think we don't comment on those detailed numbers, except the demand is just far more than we could reasonably make in the space of, I don't know, three or four years, something like that. So, the thing we're going to be really focused on is increasing battery production capacity because that's very fundamental because if you don't improve battery production capacity, then you end up just shifting unit volume from one product to another and you haven't actually produced more electric vehicles. So, that's part of the reason why we have not, for example, really accelerated production of the Tesla Semi because it does use a lot of cells and unless we've got a lot of battery cells available, then -- and say like accelerating production of the Tesla Semi would then necessarily mean making pure Model 3 or Model Y cars. And so, we've got a really -- make sure we get a very steep ramp in battery production and continue to improve the cost per kilowatt hour of the batteries. This is very fundamental and extremely difficult.

So that -- I said we're going to do kind of like a Battery Day just to kind of explain more about this and what our plans are. I think probably it's going to make sense to do that after the end of this quarter, because I think it's going to be kind of an intense end of quarter as it was last quarter. So tentatively sort of in the April timeframe, we will do a Battery Day and kind of go through what the challenges are, how do you get from here to, I don't know a couple of thousand gigawatt hours a year or something.

I completely agree with this.

Making the skateboard along with the autonomous driving software is the vast majority of the car.

Besides the skateboard and software, what's left? What would other auto makers really add?

And then for maintenance, who maintains it? Who gives the OTA updates? Who fixes drivetrain issues? Tesla or the OEM?

Reactions: EinSV
The goal of Biggee Ee is to make the world a better place through bringing BEV's to the mainstream and having them replace ICEs. It could be accomplished much quicker if Tesla sold anything they could manufacture to the Conventional OEMs.
And stockholders would become millionaires overnight. I'd like that.
Plus for the future TESLA would be THE WORLD LEADER IN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING AND MANUFACTURING. They would become the Microsoft and Nvidia of the USA automotive industry.
Look. Just look. Practically ever OEM is trying to find someone that knows anything about FDS. They are searching everywhere... cats are sleeping with dogs to try and become capable in the field of FDS.
Now to the foolish comments regarding "We don't have enough batteries for ourselves, Wahhhh!". All it takes is money. the resource is there. as soon as it is needed it will be out of the ground if someone able to think (Biggee Ee) of solving the issue before it becomes critical.
Remember the chemistry is changing and technology is developing. Lithium may not be the center of attention in 2 years?
It is only an issue till the effort is given the resources to solve it.
The reason I started this thread is because the answer is just that....
The answer to the question: How do we make the world a better place by increasing BEV's, and how do we get rich doing it?
The answer is Tesla makes itself into the Microsoft/nvidia of the automotive industry by selling the technology a unit at a time.
Just think of how much of an improvement to the world it would be if every car sold had a Tesla skateboard and FSD at its core. Just like a PC with Microsoft software and nvidia motherboard.
AS a super benefit "Cars" would become one. They'd all talk to each other like in a super hive situation.
And another would be the lowering of repair bills.
It is a great idea, AND a no-brainer.

• Love
Reactions: Akikiki
The goal of Biggee Ee is to make the world a better place through bringing BEV's to the mainstream and having them replace ICEs. It could be accomplished much quicker if Tesla sold anything they could manufacture to the Conventional OEMs.
And stockholders would become millionaires overnight. I'd like that.
Plus for the future TESLA would be THE WORLD LEADER IN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING AND MANUFACTURING. They would become the Microsoft and Nvidia of the USA automotive industry.
Look. Just look. Practically ever OEM is trying to find someone that knows anything about FDS. They are searching everywhere... cats are sleeping with dogs to try and become capable in the field of FDS.
Now to the foolish comments regarding "We don't have enough batteries for ourselves, Wahhhh!". All it takes is money. the resource is there. as soon as it is needed it will be out of the ground if someone able to think (Biggee Ee) of solving the issue before it becomes critical.
Remember the chemistry is changing and technology is developing. Lithium may not be the center of attention in 2 years?
It is only an issue till the effort is given the resources to solve it.
The reason I started this thread is because the answer is just that....
The answer to the question: How do we make the world a better place by increasing BEV's, and how do we get rich doing it?
The answer is Tesla makes itself into the Microsoft/nvidia of the automotive industry by selling the technology a unit at a time.
Just think of how much of an improvement to the world it would be if every car sold had a Tesla skateboard and FSD at its core. Just like a PC with Microsoft software and nvidia motherboard.
AS a super benefit "Cars" would become one. They'd all talk to each other like in a super hive situation.
And another would be the lowering of repair bills.
It is a great idea, AND a no-brainer.

What's really left of the car besides the skateboard and the software?

And you realize that Tesla cars are highly integrated cars, right? Their software controls the doors, locks, windows, window wipers, air vents, AC, heating, cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, seat sensors, seat heating controls, seat controls, etc.

So, are the OEMs supposed to buy the skateboard, software, and everything the software connects to as well - like door controls, lock controls, window controls, wiper controls, heating/cooling controls, camera controls, sensor controls, etc.

And after the OEMs buy the skateboard, software and everything connected to the software - then what's left?

The shell of the car?

So the OEMs add seats and a shell? And are supposed to somehow make money and compete with Tesla?

How is this a no-brainer?