TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Proximity of Tesla Charging Stations

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Keith Gilabert, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Keith Gilabert

Hi,

I am considering getting a Tesla S but would like to know what is the proximity of charging stations from LA to Las Vegas for example?

If you are an owner please let me know your experience on extended road trips. I would also like to get an idea if this car is just a daily commuter or if I can use it as an all around vehicle.

Thanks,

Keith Gilabert

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

IANAO.

Current statuses: Superchargers
    And for refrence-ish, here's Tesla's vague, ever-moving plan: Supercharger | Tesla Motors

3. Damiano

Damiano Member

As you'll see from the links provided by ItsNotAbouttheMoney, Tesla is building out its Supercharger network along major corridors. I would add that road trips are easier in the 85 as compared to the 60 because some of the existing legs between Superchargers are a bit long. For example, if you're driving from LA to Vegas, you'll need to stop at the Barstow Supercharger. An 85 can drive at normal highway speeds for I-15 (e.g. 80+ mpg) from Barstow to Vegas, but 60's need to take it a bit easy -- 65mph -- for that leg. Also since Tesla charges an upfront additional fee for Supercharger access on the 60, if you plan on taking roadtrips, the extra cost of getting an 85 is more like $8k instead of $10k.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

How did this end up in the Roadster area of the forum? Neither Model S nor Superchargers are related to Roadsters ...

I'll ask for cleanup.

5. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

Even the Model S people are rooting for Roadsters to get SuperCharging retrofit support.:smile:

6. Zextraterrestrial

I went to LV from Ncal and some kW #s that we used between the SCs when we were down there are~
    50kW between Barstow and Tejon Ranch
    55kW Barstow/Las Vegas
    45kW Tejon/Harris
    42kW Harris/ Los Gatos (70+mph)
    this was driving 80-90mph or so mostly

P85 w/ 19 all season for this

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Indeed. We are.

8. Lump

Lump Active Member

Hey Keith,

I am in Granada Hills & have driven to Vegas several times with my Tesla, its a peace of cake, you set your battery for a max charge in your garage overnight, you drive to Barstow & charge at the Supercharger, while charging you walk overt Starbucks & have a nice Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino :biggrin: then you head up to Vegas but don't drive like a maniac (stay under 90mph) & you will make it to the Strip fine, pull in to the hotel valet & they will charge your car, leave your wallet in the rooms safe & have a fun time, prior to leaving make sure your battery is fully charged then head back to Barstow for lunch or dinner (Chillies, El Pollo Loco & a few more a near by) then head back home in the best ride you have ever taken. Valencia, Santa Clarita, CA to S Las Vegas Blvd - Google Maps

Living in So. Cal. we are very fortunate to have so many Superchargers, there aren't too many places you can't go, My Tesla causes me to take road trips not hinders.