Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proximity sensor getting fooled by oreo cookie highway lane marking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a section of the highway 85 (northend) in Bay Area where the lane marking is sandwiched between 2 black stripes.
My new model 3's proximity detection (yellow/red arcs) lights up when no objects are around me. I also got heavy tramlining in that section (just figured out this issue recently) of the road. I thought the 2 (proximity & tramlining) were related but turns out to be 2 separate issues.

I've attached the section of the highway I believe starts this marking below. It ends when 85 turns into 101. Just curious if anybody has experienced this as well. Or is it just me?

1644967788857.png

The car can think very fast. But it is stupid when it comes to nonstandard or accidental markings.

I’d simply accept that the car is doing the most logical thing it can when it is presented with markings that it doesn’t understand.

Thankfully there is a 200lb meatbag behind the wheel that CAN quickly think (but not as fast as the car) and reason that the car is clearly confused by an oddball marking, and take manual control of the car for 10 seconds on a challenging straight road before engaging AP/FSD again.

Reactions: rpiotro
I am almost 100% certain the lane marking is the culprit. Today I drove from the other direction of that section of highway to work and it happens almost immediately after the interchange. The only question remains is if it's only to my model 3 or simply nobody pays attention to it...
Tesla used to have ultrasonic sensors, but I believe they removed them (not certain). But from my experiment, I think at high speed it's camera.
I don't use autopilot. I'm just curious if something's wrong with my new car (do I need to schedule service). Is my camera calibration off or not, etc.

I am almost 100% certain the lane marking is the culprit. Today I drove from the other direction of that section of highway to work and it happens almost immediately after the interchange. The only question remains is if it's only to my model 3 or simply nobody pays attention to it...
Tesla used to have ultrasonic sensors, but I believe they removed them (not certain). But from my experiment, I think at high speed it's camera.
I don't use autopilot. I'm just curious if something's wrong with my new car (do I need to schedule service). Is my camera calibration off or not, etc.
They removed the radar, they never removed the ultrasonic sensors.
It still says:
12 Ultrasonic Sensors
Detects nearby cars, prevents potential collisions and assists with parking
Model 3 | Tesla

The little pings that shows on the screen is from the ultrasonic sensors.
Described here in manual:
GUID-E0008F57-4AA6-4655-9CA9-A3A9D2807943-online-en-US.png

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
If you are talking about the lines for the lanes, that is from the cameras.

• Informative
Reactions: XPsionic
hmmm. Interesting. Then I can't explain why it's so consistently faulty on a section of the road that has the oreo cookie lane marking. It's night and day clear once I've pinpointed the marking. The correlation is too high to be a coincident (at least for my car).
I can see ultrasonic sensors being useful for parking. But is it still accurate at high speed?

hmmm. Interesting. Then I can't explain why it's so consistently faulty on a section of the road that has the oreo cookie lane marking. It's night and day clear once I've pinpointed the marking. The correlation is too high to be a coincident (at least for my car).
I can see ultrasonic sensors being useful for parking. But is it still accurate at high speed?
It could be when it passes over that section, the ultrasonic signals are reflecting on the gaps somehow. Or maybe the sound it makes somehow matches the sensors.

As for if they work in high speed, if the differential in speed isn't much between your car and the other cars, I don't see why they wouldn't work.

it says they're only active at 5mph or less, so I guess they're not used while driving.
They mean the displays and beeps only come up at 5MPH or less.
You can see the ultrasonics at work when driving at speed- when you're next to a curb you'll get a red/yellow line around the car- those come from ultrasound. Don't believe me? Tape over the ultrasonics and go drive and they won't show up.

In the section of the manual where it talks about using the ultrasonic sensors for parking, it says they're only active at 5mph or less, so I guess they're not used while driving. Maybe obstacle detection while driving used radar in cars that have it.
They are talking about the park assist mode (the view that usually is top down and can show distance to objects) which is only active below 5 mph:
"This view closes when you shift into Drive unless an object is detected close to the front of Model 3, in which case the Park Assist view closes automatically when your driving speed exceeds 5 mph (8 km/h)."

At higher speeds it switches to Lane Assist mode:
"These colored lines only display when driving between approximately 7 and 85 mph (12 and 140 km/h). When Autosteer is active, these colored lines also display if driving slower than 7 mph (12 km/h)."

They are explicitly clear Lane Assist mode uses ultrasonic sensors:
"Lane Assist may not provide warnings, or may apply inappropriate warnings, in these situations:
  • One or more of the ultrasonic sensors is damaged, dirty, or obstructed (by mud, ice, or snow, or by a vehicle bra, excessive paint, or adhesive products such as wraps, stickers, rubber coatings, etc.)."

They mean the displays and beeps only come up at 5MPH or less.
You can see the ultrasonics at work when driving at speed- when you're next to a curb you'll get a red/yellow line around the car- those come from ultrasound. Don't believe me? Tape over the ultrasonics and go drive and they won't show up.
I believe you, but what’s causing the issue reported in the OP?

More interesting finding this morning. I reboot the onboard computer by going to the service section to "power off" before driving to work.
This time, the right side of the sensors light up like Christmas lights immediately after I enter that section of the highway, but left side barely shown activities. I wiped the 8 sensors after arrived at work with my hand. We'll see what happens next time at that section of the road.