Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proximity sensors (reversing sensors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I run to service, do any of you get an audible tone as you approach an object? I don't, just the changing colour arc and distance measurements. There is also no options in this regard in the settings area.

From the manual if you haven't seen. Could be old version of manual

"If chimes are turned on (see Controlling
Audible Feedback on page 57), an audible
beep sounds as you approach an object. You
can temporarily mute the chime by pressing
the scroll wheel on the left side of the steering
wheel or by touching the mute button located
on the in the bottom left corner of the Park
Assist view.
Note: If your vehicle is equipped with software
version 6.1 or newer, and you are driving with
the camera app displayed on the touchscreen,
you can switch to the Park Assist view by
touching the icon in the upper left corner of
the camera app window. You must be driving
at speeds below 5 mph (8 km/h) ."

Page 57
"Controlling Audible FeedbackYou can use Park Assist with or without
audible feedback. To turn chimes on or off,
touch Controls > Settings > Safety &
Security > Park Assist Chimes."

Last edited:
Obviously you guys do not live in an apartment! From day one I have relied on the chimes and the display to get me (and the wife too) up the narrow turns and passages and into our parking spaces.
One other related issue: on our other (German) car the sound gets louder as you get closer, a kind of sonic version of the changing of the colour of the display. The Tesla chimes do not do that, remaining at the same volume. Could put that to the boys at Richmond as a possible software upgrade idea.

Obviously you guys do not live in an apartment! From day one I have relied on the chimes and the display to get me (and the wife too) up the narrow turns and passages and into our parking spaces.
One other related issue: on our other (German) car the sound gets louder as you get closer, a kind of sonic version of the changing of the colour of the display. The Tesla chimes do not do that, remaining at the same volume. Could put that to the boys at Richmond as a possible software upgrade idea.
Precisely my experience. I use the chimes and camera to navigate between close support posts between my two parking spaces and other support posts behind the car. The distance-sensitive chimes i am used to with BMW and MB are not present, nor are the colour-coded distance marker-lines but the system works well anyway.
I do admit I am eagerly awaiting v7. I really like the experience I have had with BMW's system. I've also tried the Cadillac version in a US rented car, but found ti to be irritatingly incompetent even after spending an hour with the manual. I still have not bothered to read the BMW manual completely because the system is so intuitive.

Obviously not Australian car nor driver, but hopefully relevant comments. At least I'm antipodean.:wink:

The chimes are louder and a different tone once the guide lines go red - like yelling "hey stop now"!

if you would like to submit a software improvement or other upgrade idea, you send an email to [email protected] . Those, apparently, DO get forwarded on to the powers that be and if there is enough demand, get implemented.