Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PRX-21 -- The Pre-Refresh 2021 Model X Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that there were some deals to be had on Pre-Refresh inventory.

If you mean through Tesla, that was not my experience. After the Models S and X refresh features were announced on January 27th, it was very hard to find new PRX-21 cars available in the lower-48 states of the U.S. (and Alaska had very few, if any, to begin with anyway). This is because Tesla showrooms had already been "encouraged" to sell off existing inventory cars (leading up to the 01/27/21 announcement), and because after the announcement a minor sales rush (by waiting customers) began on the remaining pre-refresh cars. In two days I learned how to look for available cars across the U.S. by Zip Code on the Tesla Inventory site (Tesla Inventory Site). There were a few new and demo Model Xs still available scattered across the country, along with the usual collection of older used cars. Because I specifically wanted a new, Long Range, 5-seat Model X it was that much harder to find a matching car. After just missing out on a couple of opportunities (in Ohio, Florida, and Texas), I finally discovered a small remaining inventory of Model X cars in Honolulu, Hawaii (of all places) and I was able to put down a non-refundable $100 on a new, white (LR, 5-seat) Model X. I of course had to agree to the additional maximum out-of-area transportation charge. It took another month for Tesla to actually agree to ship the car back to California (where ironically it had been built). I lucked out, and couldn't be happier. But it wasn't cheap. The only "deal" I got was that I did not have to pay the additional $10,000 for a refresh Model X. (And as it happened, even with shipping delays I received the car [in March] way quicker than waiting for a refresh Model X, as we are now finding out.)

Perhaps there were "deals" on used or demo cars, or for people who could just walk in and pay at a local showroom? Or maybe the deals were available in december and early January? But between January 27th and 29th, when I secured mine, it was a mad scramble online and I'm not sure there were any "deals" on the few remaining new pre-refresh inventory cars.

If you mean through Tesla, that was not my experience. After the Models S and X refresh features were announced on January 27th, it was very hard to find new PRX-21 cars available in the lower-48 states of the U.S. (and Alaska had very few, if any, to begin with anyway). This is because Tesla showrooms had already been "encouraged" to sell off existing inventory cars (leading up to the 01/27/21 announcement), and because after the announcement a minor sales rush (by waiting customers) began on the remaining pre-refresh cars. In two days I learned how to look for available cars across the U.S. by Zip Code on the Tesla Inventory site (Tesla Inventory Site). There were a few new and demo Model Xs still available scattered across the country, along with the usual collection of older used cars. Because I specifically wanted a new, Long Range, 5-seat Model X it was that much harder to find a matching car. After just missing out on a couple of opportunities (in Ohio, Florida, and Texas), I finally discovered a small remaining inventory of Model X cars in Honolulu, Hawaii (of all places) and I was able to put down a non-refundable $100 on a new, white (LR, 5-seat) Model X. I of course had to agree to the additional maximum out-of-area transportation charge. It took another month for Tesla to actually agree to ship the car back to California (where ironically it had been built). I lucked out, and couldn't be happier. But it wasn't cheap. The only "deal" I got was that I did not have to pay the additional $10,000 for a refresh Model X. (And as it happened, even with shipping delays I received the car [in March] way quicker than waiting for a refresh Model X, as we are now finding out.)

Perhaps there were "deals" on used or demo cars, or for people who could just walk in and pay at a local showroom? Or maybe the deals were available in december and early January? But between January 27th and 29th, when I secured mine, it was a mad scramble online and I'm not sure there were any "deals" on the few remaining new pre-refresh inventory cars.
Must have been at a local showroom. I was told by a friend who had just bought one that those with their proverbial wallets open could purchase a model x from inventory for low 70k range, something that intrigued me, but I never really followed up about it. Ironically, my only option right now is the used one due to the wait on the Refresh. Either that or said friend was just looking to get me to use their referral code :)

In a unique situation where I am looking at ordering both a Y and X in the next month to replace my gas guzzling family cars.

Base price on my Model X was $69,990, but that's deceptive--another $10,00 was immediately added for the absolutely necessary "Long Rang Plus Package." (Or else it would be $21,000 for the Performance Package!) So really the base price (before options like paint and wheels) was $79,990. If you avoided every option you could get a 2021 Model X for that (before fees and taxes). Maybe individual showrooms were willing to make deals for walk-ins, or for low-mileage demos, keeping it in the lower $70-Ks? Or maybe base prices varied in different parts of the country (USA)? In my case the car had 15 miles on the odometer and Honolulu did not want to ship it back to the continent, as it turns out, so no deals for me. I still feel like I lucked out--just getting the car when I did. (In hindsight I should have ordered from my local showroom in late 2020 and saved thousands in transportation fees and with government credits. But few of us really knew what all the refresh features were going to be or how much of a delay there'd be. And I am really happy with the PRX-21.

Fun story:

There was a 2020 Long Range Plus (9/2020 build date, but it was the 351 mile version), white with the black 6-seat interior and 20's at my Tesla dealer, it was the "new" demo I drove before ordering. Had about 1400 miles on it if I remember right. I asked and asked and asked when it would come available and was told it wouldn't, which I knew wasn't true, but kept watching. After we ordered in late October 2020, it came up for sale about three weeks before our early December delivery date. Texted SA that day, asked what the damage would be ($81,580 with destination, so, about a $5000 discount from a 6-seater, and $3000 less than our new 7-seater).

Decided to buy it that night after hours. Sent him a text in the morning to switch us to this VIN and schedule delivery for that day. 10 minutes later he texted me back it was already sold. I was checking several times a day for inventory, and I'm fairly certain the car wasn't available the night before. So, it took less than 24 hours from it coming available to sale.

For reasons started in this thread, plus my lack of patients for the new, we bought a 9-2020 H battery LR ++ 371 mile range used X a couple weeks ago.

Along with "change for the sake of change" things that no one asked for on the refresh (yoke, stalks), didn't get somethings wanted:400+ mile range for the same price.

Actually kind of ticked at Tesla for playing the game of "we don't make the LR+ any more so the new model is called the LR and cost $10k more. No we didn't break our contract, but really we did, so pay more for less range, or go pound sand." Can't wait for real competition so this *sugar* stops happening.

I started looking in last Sept and could have ordered a PR, but waited to January 10 to place order knowing lines were shut down . Was thinking getting dechrome, new interior, and a heat pump from the 3/y with maybe new batteries and more range /faster charging. No great risk in any of these and can't take new model year problems as I live 3.5 hours from service center. Instead changes are so major or having such problems, line shut down for 5+ months and counting.

I got a LATE old model(Sept 2020 with 2021 H bat and 371 miles range) that should be well vetted, instead of being beta tester for a new model and HOURS from service. New model seems way to risky for me to get in the first 6 months of its production.

Only regret is not pulling the trigger on a new one back in Sept myself and getting 0 miles and using it for the last 6 months. Not missing anything off the new (except heat pump and range increase it adds).