Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PS4s => P zero for new performance model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also noticed 3.2s => 3.1s 0-60 time change. Not sure if these two are related.

I’m a little confused about P0 series, how many different compounds do they have?
I know PS4s has the best reputation for wet performance. Is P0 better in dry conditions?

• Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p

I’m a little confused about P0 series, how many different compounds do they have?
Same as the others: too many. The tire family comes in run flat (PZ), track-centric (corsa), all-season/touring, etc etc.

...assuming the tesla comes with the standard summer p zero....

I know PS4s has the best reputation for wet performance. Is P0 better in dry conditions?

...had them in similar size in a different car. dry performance is imperceptible for enthusiastic street driving. but noisier than equivalent size michelin pss, or ps4

Reactions: wenkan

Hopefully someone has an order in here and will be able to post data on it as soon as they get it. I'd be interested to see if with the newer denser cells if supercharging rates change any at all, then, what the full data is on acceleration up to the 1/4 mile... To see if it is actually faster, or if Tesla has just started clocking them correctly since most of us are already seeing 3.1 0-60 without counting the rollout.

Hopefully someone has an order in here and will be able to post data on it as soon as they get it. I'd be interested to see if with the newer denser cells if supercharging rates change any at all, then, what the full data is on acceleration up to the 1/4 mile... To see if it is actually faster, or if Tesla has just started clocking them correctly since most of us are already seeing 3.1 0-60 without counting the rollout.
I don’t think the refreshed model 3 will have different cell modules. The 4680 cell has not been mass produced yet. If the 0.1s is not from the tyres, then there must be some firmware update making this.

I don’t think the refreshed model 3 will have different cell modules. The 4680 cell has not been mass produced yet. If the 0.1s is not from the tyres, then there must be some firmware update making this.

It's not a different cell, it's a more dense panasonic cell. They already announced that they were manufacturing them a while back... Model X is getting them, and potentially the model s for 2021 too, because the p100d just jumped up 40 miles in range.

Same as the others: too many. The tire family comes in run flat (PZ), track-centric (corsa), all-season/touring, etc etc.

...assuming the tesla comes with the standard summer p zero....

...had them in similar size in a different car. dry performance is imperceptible for enthusiastic street driving. but noisier than equivalent size michelin pss, or ps4
On Pirelli website I found PZ4 noted “Tesla” in it’s OEM brands. So it’s run flat?
Also remember there was a thread about PZ4 side walls not strong enough for model 3.

Doubtful

On Pirelli website I found PZ4 noted “Tesla” in it’s OEM brands. So it’s run flat?
Also remember there was a thread about PZ4 side walls not strong enough for model 3.

Most definitely not a run-flat. Probably Pirelli did something similar to what we suspect Michelin did with the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S. I would bet the tread is slightly wider (to handle the extra weight and give a little bit more bite in the corners) with a somewhat harder Center compound so you don't get exaggerated crown wear at higher inflation pressures.

I really agree with those saying this is a downgrade. Not only does this tire not fare as well as the Pilot Sport 4S in reviews if you look at the description of the tire it's not rated for below 45 degrees Fahrenheit! Michelin would not cover tread cracking if the tire was cold soaked meaning exposed for cold temperatures for 24 hours below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. We've driven the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S tire many times when temperatures were in the 40s without issue. This Pirelli replacement tire might not be so comfortable

Last edited:

That was me on the sidewall thing - these were pz4 sport, they have multiple versions of the pz4's from what I could see... The 20" version may be better, but that 235/45/18 was pure trash being both slick on cornering and eating up efficiency.

After replacing with the ps4s and putting a few k miles on them so far, I will never use another model of tire on the tesla. These things stick like glue and have had absolutely no effect on efficiency even though the tire is much softer than the oem conti's.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Tesla part numbers for the Model 3. It appears there is an 800 Mosfet Rear Drive Unit for the Model 3 listed...The same that is listed for the Model Y.

Is this new? My assumption (or what I have heard) is that the model 3 performance had hand-picked motors but was the same as the dual motor drive unit. If this is the case, then there is a more power rear motor for the new performance model...Which tells me there is probably even more performance waiting to be unlocked by future updates...