Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA 2021 center console can scratch itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PSA for 2021 owners with new center console.

Do not put hot food or drinks on it and open the console shortly after. Allow the console to completely cool otherwise it bulges and scratches itself when opening. I am complaining to service about this to see if they will fix. There is no warning not to put hot food on this perfectly flat surface. Very ticked off..
2021 self damaging console.
XT6lliK

No luck with the center console, getting it wrapped instead. FYI its $220 CAD to replace it (labor included).

Reminder on the PSA to not open the 2021 center console if you laid something warm on it (food, drink, laptop, warm phone even). Let the console cool completely before attempting to open.

The tolerances are very tight and if only the sliding portion expands and not the rest of the console, it will scratch itself and it won't be covered under warranty.

What actually did the scratching. ?
Was something on it, when opened and it scratched when slid, or did it scratch under the area it slides. ?
I’m not sure what the tolerances are under the lid, but how much does it bubble up when hot ?

What actually did the scratching. ?
Was something on it, when opened and it scratched when slid, or did it scratch under the area it slides. ?
I’m not sure what the tolerances are under the lid, but how much does it bubble up when hot ?

The area under the sliding part is what scratched it.

I placed a breakfast sandwich for a period of time on this while waiting for my GF. I had to grab something from the console so I removed the sandwich and slid it open. I can't remember the resistance when opening, but when closing the mechanism did not close fully. I just put the 2021 console organizer in, so I thought it was something blocking the sliding rail. When I closed the console, the scratch was now there.

It was not that hot. It's a breakfast sandwich that I was holding in my hand with no issue.

It is not a usual case and not looking for any pitchforks. You need to put something hot + immediately slide it open. Something that I think is easy to miss engineering side, where they typically test the entire vehicle being heated vs just individual portions of the car being heated via common items in the car. I have a feeling if you let it cool for even 5 minutes it would cool down enough.

I just had some paint chips fixed on my MYP, and I noticed the exact same thing when I picked up my car!

I figured something was set on it, but our service center has a drop off, and I’m guess my car sat in the sun, someone opened it, and scratch. Two steps forward (two chips from delivery fixed) one step back.

My scratch looks the exact same.

Got it wrapped at a local shop. The dip Dr in Vancouver (Richmond) did a great job.

View attachment 633963
Glad you weee able to hide it. I don’t think that typically happens but instead something wrong with the underside where it slides into. Because by that definition, opening or closing it on a hot sunny day where the plastic feels burning hot would also scratch it but that hasn’t happened to me.