Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA 2021 center console can scratch itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pure water only. Capped when not actually drinking. Those are my rules. What is so hard about that? It is an automobile, not a dining room.
@rpiotro That used to be my rule too. I lost that battle on the first road trip together with my now-wife. I commend you for keeping up the good automobile hygiene. 👍

Don't even ask what the inside of our Model 3 looks like right now after just a few days of wife + kid driving around mostly without me...

• Funny
Reactions: DocHolliday
Glad you weee able to hide it. I don’t think that typically happens but instead something wrong with the underside where it slides into. Because by that definition, opening or closing it on a hot sunny day where the plastic feels burning hot would also scratch it but that hasn’t happened to me.
When the car is hot on a hot day, the entire console would be hot. When you put a hot item on the lid, only the lid gets hot. So that may be the difference. Also the OP was in Vancouver, BC in January when day time temps were only 42F (6C) making the temperature differential even higher.

Last edited:
Your joking right……..those Starbucks sandwiches can indeed get unreasonably stupidly hot
Really old thread, but wanted to comment that given the lid is only about 6 inches wide and recessed down, there are very few (if any) laptops that can sit on the center console without at least one side being raised up (if not both), thus creating an air gap. Laptop chassis temperatures also typically peak at 40-50C under load (60C for gaming laptops), this is because they are typically designed to be used on laps (although not all are, many of the gaming ones are designed to be used on a desk), so can't have too high temperatures that might cause burns when using for extended periods of time (although sometimes people still get burned or skin discoloration if they use it long enough).
Our Laptop Performance Tests: Thermals And Noise

From a quick search, the target internal temp of a Starbucks sandwich is 165F (or 74C), which is significantly higher. The speed oven itself is much hotter (400-500F), but the target internal temp is a better reference for the temp of the sandwich when given to customer.
How To Heat Up Starbucks Sandwiches At Home? - L'Espresso Bar Mercurio

A hot coffee or beverage actually is less of a risk, because the cups are designed to limit thermal transfer to people and surfaces it is placed on (bottom of cup has a lip that is raised).

Last edited:
Really old thread, but wanted to comment that given the lid is only about 6 inches wide and recessed down, there are very few (if any) laptops that can sit on the center console without at least one side being raised up (if not both), thus creating an air gap. Laptop chassis temperatures also typically peak at 40-50C under load (60C for gaming laptops), this is because they are typically designed to be used on laps (although not all are, many of the gaming ones are designed to be used on a desk), so can't have too high temperatures that might cause burns when using for extended periods of time (although sometimes people still get burned or skin discoloration if they use it long enough).
Our Laptop Performance Tests: Thermals And Noise

From a quick search, the target internal temp of a Starbucks sandwich is 165F (or 74C), which is significantly higher. The speed oven itself is much hotter (400-500F), but the target internal temp is a better reference for the temp of the sandwich when given to customer.
How To Heat Up Starbucks Sandwiches At Home? - L'Espresso Bar Mercurio

A hot coffee or beverage actually is less of a risk, because the cups are designed to limit thermal transfer to people and surfaces it is placed on (bottom of cup has a lip that is raised).
Internal temperature of 165 equals hotter exterior temperature