Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

PSA: $55 Paint repair kit in stock at shop.tesla.com

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
The same kit from Dr. Color Chip is $64.95, so Tesla is giving us a deal. I just bought a kit from the source for multi-coat red.

One caveat: the touch-up paint can mar the clear coat adjacent to the repair. I fixed a chip on my driver A-pillar, and I'm going to use some polishing compound ( Griot Garage) and a buffer to clean up the area around the chip repair. Also, I didn't leave the touch-up paint on for five minutes, more like two. I'll try five on the next chip fix.

Last edited:
My kit arrived today in a bag of some kind of debris, is that normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_182007.jpg
    IMG_20180521_182007.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 72
The same kit from Dr. Color Chip is $64.95, so Tesla is giving us a deal. I just bought a kit from the source for multi-coat red.

Tesla's kit is 0.5 oz. paint and 1 oz. blending solution. The $64.95 Dr. ColorChip kit that I see has 1 oz. paint and 4 oz. blending solution. You can get cheaper kits from Dr. ColorChip, too.

(Though now I see Tesla offers free shipping, so that sweetens the pot.)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC