Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA about why you should NOT use auto lift trunk struts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The three pictures say it all. After five months, one of the struts came apart when I opened the trunk, went sideways under force and cracked my rear glass in my M3. The 2nd struct when I pulled it out, has a crack running through the plastic head but had not broken yet.. it was on it's way though. The vendor, s3xymodels, won't reply to my email. I know they buy the struts from the same place that everyone else does but not responding sucks.

These the the typical "auto lift" struts which the helper springs to pop the trunk up a few inches when you open it. I see them for sale everywhere. I will not be using them again.. I would strongly advise you if you have them, to take them off and look at the plastic caps very closely or just to chuck them and not take the risk. That back glass is going to be expensive :/. I'm going to try a windshield repair kit to "patch" it for now and see if I can't kick the can down the road a few months. since it will be an out of pocket expense.

IMG_4658.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpeg
    IMG_4661.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_4660.jpeg
    IMG_4660.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_4659.jpeg
    IMG_4659.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have the struts so I cant advise which exact size you'll need but you need to consider both the stud diameter as well as the threading on the end of the rods. Personally Id replace them with the metal sockets with the safety clips rather than the snap-on type.
Bad news.. they are not threaded.. or at least these are not. Its a press fit with knurled ends.

I stand corrected :). I took another look at the struts and I see the knurling is just for the inside of the plastic connection to a brass set of threads.. insert type of arrangement with the mentioned threads. I'll have to look at the MacMaster and see what that is all about now. Learned something new.. that makes it a good day :D

Thanks for the heads up. A great reminder and warning for people that, generally speaking, it isn't a good idea to use non-OEM parts as they may not be made to spec, could be of questionable quality, and may be produced in a country that doesn't have laws that protect consumers and require manufacturers to meet certain standards.

Just an update.. I lost the rear window today.. the resin I used didnt prevent a long crack from appearing today in the heat. So the 20 dollar strut will be costing me something in the neighborhood of 1300 for the rear glass to be replaced. This makes me sad :/
Such a bummer, sorry to hear. I don't have the aftermarket lift struts, but much appreciate the heads up. I'm sure your warning will help others prevent this.

Only if you are lucky.. My experience with a couple of BMWs in the past showcase that. Just go back to the Mercedes M272 engine debacle. There is an endless list of high toys that failed to meet expectations given the price.

Take away ? Price does not always equal quality.
True. But my point is the lowest price usually is the poorest quality. I said spend a little more. Not the most money you can.