Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Aladdin Parking @ San Diego Airport has tesla level 2 chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I parked at Aladdin parking (covered parking) at San Diego airport for a business trip, and they have a designated "Tesla" parking area, very close to the office in their covered parking. The chargers are tesla destination chargers, and charge at 32 Miles per hour. There is not currently any additional charge for plugging in while you travel there :)

One thing I found interesting, is that it appears that they cycle the chargers on and off or something. I checked on my car a couple times a day (because it was plugged in), and noticed a few times it said "ready to charge.. check charging cable". There was no charge being applied to the car during these times. I actually stressed a bit, thinking that someone had tried to unplug the locked cable or something. I was gone a week, and a couple days later it would start charging again.

When I got back, no issues with car, or destination connector, or port, etc. So, Tesla owners, Aladdin covered parking has us covered for charging, too. Very nice to see this, as it means you dont have to worry if your traveling and parking your tesla at the sd airport.

My recent overnight trip at an airport that had J1772 charging, for a fee, I noticed that when my car was fully charged (to my specified 90%) it stopped charging. Now I’m struggling to remember if my M3 said “ready for charging” when I checked in on it.

Either way, it did start charging again when my M3 dropped below a certain threshold, and then would stop again. I have Sentry turned on as well as cabin overheat protection so it does burn through a bit more battery than if I didn’t.