Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - almost kicked my own ass with app as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
In my own hubris I told my wife to keep the Model X fob in her purse. Don’t need it, I’ll just use app as a key.
She takes off with the fob as FIL has the other one.

Doors unlock and car backs out of driveway.

Forgot to grab something so got out of the car, went in the house and got my paperwork.

Went to app to unlock the car and nope - can’t talk to the vehicle.

Car is close enough to be connected to the Wi-Fi. But not close enough to have a reliable TCP session.

I shut off my WAP to force the car over to LTE. Got in but that was stressful.

Pros of no fob: no risk of decapitation , amputations or blunt force trauma from unexpected FWD closures.

Cons of no fob: everything else up to and including a beached land whale that can’t move.

Bluetooth in the mirrors could have helped here like in the Model 3.

Best practice solution makes me think that certain essential functions should always have LTE failover like vehicle unlock and start.

I noticed something really weird happening to my X the other day. My X was inside the garage and the 3 outside. I was in and out of the garage unloading stuff from Costco. I don't have my X fob with me, only my phone paired w/ the 3, but wife's fob is in her purse which is next to the entrance to the garage, very close to the X. While I walked in and out of the garage, the X kept locking/locking itself when I got close by/away. I don't know if this is related to the new BT module they put in the 2018 Xs. It definitely had to do with me getting in close proximity of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing