Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: APC 7 and 8 series surge protector recall (units made before 03)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Recalled units look like the attached but have to be of the affected models and have the right serial number range.
8-series-surge-strip.png
7-series-surge-strip.png

More info below.
CPSC - Schneider Electric Recalls APC Surge Protectors Due to Fire Hazard

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL | APC by Schneider Electric

Every one of these that I had in use was a recalled unit, which makes for 6 of them. I had another recalled one that stopped working awhile ago.

Will be busy submitting a claim sometime soon.

Surprised there's been no response. On another forum I'm on, some people replied saying they had at least one of these recalled units. One person said there were over 100 recalled units at their work.

Nobody has or cares about these being potential fire hazards?

Interesting that it took several days for this story to show up: Recall: Surge protectors could cause fire.

From the above:
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said the company had received

700 reports of overheating and melting;
13 reports of injuries, including smoke inhalation, and burns from touching the overheated device;
55 reports of property damage, including a house fire that caused $916,000 in damage and a fire in a medical facility that caused a loss of $750,000.

A report filed on the CPSC public database details an incident that took place Dec. 24, 2011, involving one of the now-recalled Schneider units:
By the time I reached the top of the stairs smoke was filling the room and I saw my girlfriend standing over the surge protector while it was on fire. Fire was coming from the open outlets and had actually melted through the bottom.

The room was filled with black smoke and burn marks were on the wood floor. The surge protector appears fine on top but actually has a hole melted through the bottom.

I got a confirmation email on Wednesday listing the models of all my submissions and approvals for all of them.

I'm surprised at your surprise. Perhaps it's because there is very little relative danger from this? With one of these in my house, it's ~10 times more likely (0.04% vs. 0.005%) that I will be killed on the highway in the next year then one of these will even smolder in my house. Is it something to replace, sure, but I'm not so sure that it's much to get excited about.

Peter

Surprised there's been no response. On another forum I'm on, some people replied saying they had at least one of these recalled units. One person said there were over 100 recalled units at their work.

Nobody has or cares about these being potential fire hazards?

Interesting that it took several days for this story to show up: Recall: Surge protectors could cause fire.

From the above:

I got a confirmation email on Wednesday listing the models of all my submissions and approvals for all of them.