TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

PSA: APC 7 and 8 series surge protector recall (units made before 03)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cwerdna, Oct 4, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Surprised there's been no response. On another forum I'm on, some people replied saying they had at least one of these recalled units. One person said there were over 100 recalled units at their work.

Nobody has or cares about these being potential fire hazards?

Interesting that it took several days for this story to show up: Recall: Surge protectors could cause fire.

From the above:
    I got a confirmation email on Wednesday listing the models of all my submissions and approvals for all of them.

3. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

I'm surprised at your surprise. Perhaps it's because there is very little relative danger from this? With one of these in my house, it's ~10 times more likely (0.04% vs. 0.005%) that I will be killed on the highway in the next year then one of these will even smolder in my house. Is it something to replace, sure, but I'm not so sure that it's much to get excited about.

Peter

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#4 cwerdna, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    I've received 3 replacements so far: a PRO8T2 and 2 PRO7T.

At least they under-promised and over-delivered. When I got the confirmations after submitting my recall claims, they'd said Expected Ship Date: 13-Jan-2014.