Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Backing into garage when the door is already open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds obvious, but be careful if you have the auto garage door open/close setting on your homelink when the garage door is already open. I backed into my garage door as it was triggered by the homelink's auto trigger (open/close). Luckily I only put a small ding in the garage door, and the scuffs buffed out of the rear bumper. Could have been a lot worse.

Sounds obvious, but be careful if you have the auto garage door open/close setting on your homelink when the garage door is already open. I backed into my garage door as it was triggered by the homelink's auto trigger (open/close). Luckily I only put a small ding in the garage door, and the scuffs buffed out of the rear bumper. Could have been a lot worse.

I've disabled auto garage door open/close for exactly that reason.
Some new garage motor electronics have distinct open/close commands that would mitigate this condition. Mine does not, and I am not upgrading my garage door motors just for one car.

a

This is the one & only time I’m grateful our garage is too small to park in!

I let it open-close the door but I park in the driveway. Zero risk of closing the door on the car. The only risk is the door accidentally opening when I pull away (if, for example, I closed it on my way outside) - but the opener has a 10 minute timer anyway, so it’ll auto shut after 10 minutes if I screw up. All good. :)