Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Bed in your brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it lock the brakes up? How bad is the sudden stop? I’m too chicken to try it. :D
I actually did it by accident. I hit the parking button thinking it was the button for the washer fluid. I still own two ice cars. :D
There was a squeal and the speed decreased a little and I hit the button again and realized what I did. I just continue on my way not giving it a second thought. I was going about 30 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I actually did it by accident. I hit the parking button thinking it was the button for the washer fluid. I still own two ice cars. :D
There was a squeal and the speed decreased a little and I hit the button again and realized what I did. I just continue on my way not giving it a second thought. I was going about 30 mph.
That’s hilarious. Thinking you’re going to get wiper fluid and you lock up the brakes. Only in Tesla! :D

That’s hilarious. Thinking you’re going to get wiper fluid and you lock up the brakes. Only in Tesla! :D
Actually, if you hit the Park button while driving it has no affect on the car. The chime will go off and a message will appear that says something like 'Hey, stupid, the washers are on the OTHER side'.... Seriously, there is just a chime and a warning, it won't apply the parking brake.

Actually, if you hit the Park button while driving it has no affect on the car. The chime will go off and a message will appear that says something like 'Hey, stupid, the washers are on the OTHER side'.... Seriously, there is just a chime and a warning, it won't apply the parking brake.

This is true. Don't ask me how I know.

This is actually why if you look at the recommended service intervals, it shows that you should have the brakes serviced annually... It is basically to clean corrosion/rust/etc off the brake components. Pretty easy to do yourself, if you know how to change brakes yourself.

With that being said, maybe I'm lucky that I live on a hill... I have to use the friction brakes multiple times every day, even in the summer... Even moreso in the colder months.
Me too! Driving to work the hills are so steep the regen doesn't fully stop the car unless I let off the throttle half a block away. I've had the MYP about three months, so doing the math I've engaged them close to two hundred times already just going to work.

On my ice car I had new brakes installed and the mechanic told me to bed the brakes. I didn't and drove it normally and driving to reno and engaging the brakes on the highway at higher speeds I felt the brakes kind of shimming. The shimming made it feel like the brakes were warped. After some hard braking during the trip and some around town driving they seemed to have bedded because there is no more shimming under regular and hard braking.
MIne must be defective because I felt the rear wheel locked and a squeal at the same time. I did hit it multiple times, so maybe once won't do anything.

Yes, you have to press and hold for a couple of seconds if you really want the e-brake.
Come to think of it I did hold it down. I wanted to clean the windows and you how ineffective the washers are with a single squirt

edit - I guess the multiple times was me releasing it after I locked them up. After reading the post about holding it down a few seconds and that's what I did.
It's all coming back to me :D

My local SC gave me a tip for bedding in brakes. You can go into Neutral while driving which will completely disable regen. Just hold up on the right gear stalk to the first position (the 'light touch" position) for 1-2 seconds and it goes into Neutral. Push down on the Gear stalk to go back to drive, which....will instantly start applying regen braking since it gets turned back on, if you are not holding down on the accelerator.

So, you could go to 60, go into Neutral, hard brake to around 10, push down to reenter drive and then speed back up to 60. Need to go into drive quickly because you dont' want to go to 0mph while doing the bedding process.

My local SC gave me a tip for bedding in brakes. You can go into Neutral while driving which will completely disable regen. Just hold up on the right gear stalk to the first position (the 'light touch" position) for 1-2 seconds and it goes into Neutral. Push down on the Gear stalk to go back to drive, which....will instantly start applying regen braking since it gets turned back on, if you are not holding down on the accelerator.

So, you could go to 60, go into Neutral, hard brake to around 10, push down to reenter drive and then speed back up to 60. Need to go into drive quickly because you dont' want to go to 0mph while doing the bedding process.
Nice... In this case, it's ok if you end up at 0, the key is you don't want to be stopped while the brakes are engaged... As long as you lift your foot off the brake before the car comes to a stop, you're golden.

Did this for my model 3 performance, but I but it on track mode first with zero regen. right after the last one, I turned off regen and avoided braking for at least 5 minutes so it could cool down with the wind. I'm all set and going back to not using the brakes for like a month. Then maybe give it a good brake to shake off any rust and such.

5 moderate to aggressive stops from 40 mph down to 10 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool and do not come to a complete stop. If you’re forced to stop, either shift into neutral or give room in front so you can allow the vehicle to roll slightly while waiting for the light. The rotors will be very hot and holding down the brake pedal will allow the pad to create an imprint on the rotor. This is where the judder can originate from.

Then do 5 moderate stops from 35 mph to 5 mph in rapid succession without letting the brakes cool. You should expect to smell some resin as the brakes get hot.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure.

+1 for Brake Burnishing in Service Mode! Works awesome. I just made a video about it last night actually. My brand new brakes benefitted greatly from it - lots of smelly smoke, and the rotors lost some of the crosshatching from the factory.
Mind sharing a link to your video? I haven't actually tried it yet and am getting a Y soon so I want to make sure I do it properly this time.