Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[PSA] Beware of the quirks of the current round of the Tesla Referral Program (till April 30, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(@HankLloydRight, et al)

Confirmed. Level 4 is attained when you have 25 referrals. Not '5 more' than what you had when this round began on 2/1. Emails below.

This was in response to my email:
Response from head of the referral program:
For the latest referral program, if we have achieved the secret levels, do we continue on them or are we eligible for the prizes from referrals 1-5 again?

Bummer, as there's no way I'll get enough to make a Roadster a viable purchase for me. What about the next unveiling invite? Does that mean we can't qualify for that again?
I assume that's what it means, but I don't know that for sure. But there are still the other secret level prizes like drive the Boring Machine and attend a Falcon Heavy launch.

Edit: I'd assume 'attend the next unveiling' will be a prize again in plenty of time for the next event.

It's kinda strange actually with the leaderboard. Like you said, the person with the most newsletter signups isn't guaranteed to win the Semi race each week. And the people with the most signups are the same people who get lots of referrals and already have the secret levels unlocked, so if they get 5 more referrals (highly likely), they're going to get the Semi race anyway. So why bother collecting thousands of email addresses for the newsletter, when next week, they all get reset to zero anyway?

If they were smart about it, they would spread out those signups over the course of each week and not all at once so they have lots of entries in each week's drawing. I don't suspect those people in the top 10 right now can generate that many new signups each week, unless they are spoofing the system and submitting hundreds or thousands of fake email addresses (very easy to do).
Email spam is not allowed in good faith.
It is fair that you get an email from you friend and then register from his link,other than just get an email without doing nothing.The latter will not be count.
(Not native speaker,hope you can understand my poor english)

Not sure what you mean by "latter will not be count[ed]". Looks like everything is being counted. How else can someone get 6000 newsletter signups in three or four days?
That master cheater is already through 9000 entries, but according to Praveen (head of the referral program) that matter is already being worked on, as well as a few other measures to avoid abuse.

Reactions: Falkirk
He's up to over 9045 newsletter sign-ups last I checked.

There are lots of people with NO referrals and they still have a chance and are listed in the semi leaderboard. Yes, the ones in the first few places probably have over 25 referrals already but there are 49 other names on the list.
The guy with 9000 sign ups is Saul Lopez with over 100,000 subscribers on his YT channel so it is not surprisingly he has easily been able to leverage 1 out of nearly 10 of his followers to sign up.

The guy with 9000 sign ups is Saul Lopez with over 100,000 subscribers on his YT channel so it is not surprisingly he has easily been able to leverage 1 out of nearly 10 of his followers to sign up.
Even for a popular YouTuber it is highly unlikely to be able to mobilize that amount of subscribers in such a short period, as you (and others in the top 10 of the leaderboard) have seen for yourself. His number of entries was lingering for days, then jumped in thousands from one day to another or within hours, which typically points in the direction of some "extra" help. Saul is here in Europe, his content is Spanish only, which makes it even more unlikely because who from Spain would especially fly over to California just for racing the Tesla Semi? Not saying that he really cheated, but it pretty much looks like it.

Tesla should just limit it to up to 100 newsletter signups per week per owner. With all these people with hundreds and thousands of signups, it really skews the chances away from "the little guys" from winning a chance at the semi race. And as I said before, the people with thousands of sign-ups probably already qualify for the semi-race based on referrals alone.

But I've learned running my own websites, if you give people a chance for nothing but their name in lights, they'll do anything to get that. Even if it's entirely pointless.

Reactions: Tesl@ Bargain
So what's new?
  • Tesla Semi Leaderboard working again.
  • Right now only 1 day 15 hours 32 minutes remaining till the next drawing.
  • They did NOT reset the previous entries!
  • Saul (already more than 10,000 entries now) didn't win the first drawing, but Bjorn did.
  • Conclusion: If you are not a popular YouTuber, have an otherwise strong following or cheat, your chances to win any of the drawings to come are next to nothing. :(

Last edited:
The second drawing for Race the Tesla Semi is currently in progress. I'm in touch with the head of the Tesla Referral Program and he promised that the leaderboard will be cleaned up to not have the mentioned issues moving forward, which means the counters will be reset to only include entries since last drawing, and they are pruning out undeliverable email addresses in the backend.

Reactions: Falkirk