TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PSA - Brake Parts Cleaner strips the gray coating on the performance rotors

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Mike Hawk, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk Member

re97eneypa141.jpg I'm prepping my rotor hats for some gloss black POR-15.

I had already hit them with Optimum Power Cleaner, a paint safe all purpose cleaner / de-greaser, at full strength a couple times. Then some engine de-greaser. They took it like a champ, still had some brake dust on them that wasn't coming off, even with brush agitation.

I then hit them with brake parts cleaner, and, well, you see the results. Lol. Oops.

I've been careful to keep the sprays off the calipers.

2. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk Member

First coat done. It goes on crazy thick. Had to ditch my foam brush and break out a bristle brush to get decent coverage. Looks like crap but I've heard it looks a lot better after the 2nd coat.

[​IMG]

Yes, I'm a mad man who didn't mask off his rotors. TBH the masking doesn't fit between the rotor and the pad when spinning the rotor during paint application. It'll burn off easy enough after a few stabs at the brakes.

3. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Interesting. The calipers come off quite easy.

4. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk Member

I'm King of Lazy :)

• Funny x 1
  5. destructure00

destructure00 Active Member

Brake cleaner is fine on the calipers. Sprayed mine many times to get dried fluid, grease, and brake dust off. Red paint still looks like new.

6. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk Member

#6 Mike Hawk, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    POR-15 caliper paint is an EPIC fail. I'm giving up after I think my 5th coat to try to avoid brush strokes.

I mixed the paint adequately. Stored it in house so it was ~69 degrees F. Garage is around 60ish. The instructions say it can be applied between 56 and 86 degrees. Stuff was just too thick. I'd try to thin my brush a little with mineral spirits to get paint to 'reflow' a bit. Total fail. It looks okay I guess at 10 feet. Like a cast iron skillet with orange peel, a drip, and a hint of a brush stroke every now and then.

This spring I'm just going to take my rotors off, get them stripped/blasted and apply some Rust-Oleum engine enamel 500 degree rattle can.

F this crap. Grumpy!

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  7. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

When you redo this it’s easy to remove the caliper and rotor. Unbolt and remove the caliper and hang it with a bungee from the upper suspension to prevent stress on the still attached brake line. Remove the rotor, sand the wheel mating surface to remove the POR15. Mask the mating surface and the rotor contact surface. Spray the remaining exposed rotor hub with a high temp spray bomb.
    If your going to leave it as is for now it’s a good idea to sand the POR15 off the mating surface before installing the wheel back on.