Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: CAREFUL--Autopilot sudden braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The longer this goes on, the more drivers that the system will train to mash the accelerator when the car brakes unexpectedly. Think about that for a moment. Peoples’ first reaction is to countermand the system, because of so many false events. What’s going to happen when it’s a good reason to brake but the human just didn’t notice it?

The boy who cried wolf, in modern form.

Reactions: KiddFunkadelic
For the record, this isn't a Tesla only issue. The Radar Cruise on my CX-5 does this occasionally too. Usually it get's confused by slower traffic in another lane while going around a bend. And like the rest of you, I'm always ready to push down on the gas pedal to override it.

Of course, Tesla can theoretically fix or incrementally improve this over time via software updates. Mazda? Not so much...

Reactions: Leafdriver333
This has happened to me 5 or 6 times recently while using AutoPilot. I’m on 2019.8.3. In each case I think the shadow of the car ahead of me in the adjacent lane freaked the system into suddenly braking. It probably thought those cars were coming over into my lane even though they weren’t making any such move. Each time I was in the left lane and there were cars ahead of me in the right lane, near-ish the lane dividing line. But it is totally random since hundreds/thousands of times there have been shadows cast into the left lane by cars ahead of me in the right lane that the system didn’t react to.

I’ve been trying to pay more attention recently to the specific factors that might cause it (for example if it happens when I am behind another car in my lane) but of course it has temporarily stopped now that I am paying extra attention and ready to make a report to Tesla.

Happened to me last week on a grey seattle day. My M3 misread shadow of overhead bridge as another car and slammed the breaks to drop to 45 from 68. Luckily no one was behind me. Its weird because i am doing same commute from last 3 weeks and it only happened once.

It usually happens to me in the same 4 spots of my commute every day. When I am on the freeway with speed limit of 75 - the car momentarily thinks I an on the feeder road with a 45 mph limit and breaks. To alleviate this - I usually drive on the freeway with regenerative breaking set to “mild” and “chill” not sports mode. And keep my foot on the accelerator- so I can act.
For the model S ( it is much gentler) - but in the P3D+; it jerks you and will cause a crash. It is a sports car and the stickey tires hold better than most other cars.

I got into the habit of submitting a bug report and pressing the camera icon when unanticipated braking happens. This allows me to later on go over what was happening at least from the view of the vehicle camera(s) to try to determine why. I also try to quickly scan what mode(s) the car is in and verbally speak that into an iOS Notepad note on my iPhone6 and now 7. Results? No consistent answer that I can find causing the glitches. Frustrating.

I got into the habit of submitting a bug report and pressing the camera icon when unanticipated braking happens. This allows me to later on go over what was happening at least from the view of the vehicle camera(s) to try to determine why. I also try to quickly scan what mode(s) the car is in and verbally speak that into an iOS Notepad note on my iPhone6 and now 7. Results? No consistent answer that I can find causing the glitches. Frustrating.
If there was a clear pattern, Elon would have fixed it already I guess. It is frustrating because I really like using AP.
Phantom braking ruins the experience.

Reactions: tkc9789
this is a reaction time problem with the current processing capability of the AP computer. I suspect this issue goes away (or becomes extremely rare) on HW3.

I don't think so.
Phantom braking is a plague for auto-pilot/auto-steer solutions across multiple OEM brands: Tesla, BMW, Honda, VW.
At least those are the ones I've experienced doing it first-hand, so far.

Some of that is camera mis-characterizing dark patches as cars (Mobileye and Tesla), or failing to correlate road turns with incoming traffic trajectory.
Some of that is radar doing the same as above.
Some of that are software bugs.

Phantom braking is a PITA, but you sort-of learn to anticipate conditions when it's likely to occur, and can over-ride it with your foot on the accelerator. Driving on one-lane roads with cars parked along the shoulder is guaranteed to trigger phantom braking even if there is plenty of room in the lane. Same for curved roads with incoming traffic. Same for shadows/overpasses.

There is one of the reasons why all quasi-autopilots, including Tesla's, keep remind drivers to stay alert, and be prepared to take over control of the car.
This is one of those reasons.

a

• Helpful
Reactions: WallyP
Are there any updates on a fix for the phantom braking issue?

It's been a couple of months since the last comments on this thread, and I am now on version 2019.16.2, but I am still experiencing errors on a daily basis.

So far I've only had that once and it was on backroads.Never on the highway. I'm on 2019.15.103.
I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware issue. Maybe a problem with one of the forward looking cameras.