Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: CAREFUL--Autopilot sudden braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced sudden brake two times this week. The second time a car almost reared end me because of it.

It should be on my dash cam. Who should I send this to?
I would think immediately afterward just clicking the right scroll wheel and speaking "bug report EAP sudden braking issue" might provide Tesla with WAY more information than your dash cam video. This way they can look up all the EAP sensor logs....

Mine has been three times no cars in front
Only once overhead structure
My wife freaked out the only time she was in the car saying why cannt you just drive yourself!
Foot resting on the go pedal and pushing it is down is best way for now to make sure you don’t get rear ended.

This sudden braking is a huge problem. It just happened to me again about 15 mins ago. No one in front me and only a car to the left lane of me. Thankfully the car behind me was able to slow down too, he high beamed me after it happened.

This is happening to me weekly. I am afraid I wont be as lucky next time.

What happens if autopilot is on and foot is resting on acceleration pedal?

This sudden braking is a huge problem. It just happened to me again about 15 mins ago. No one in front me and only a car to the left lane of me. Thankfully the car behind me was able to slow down too, he high beamed me after it happened.

Don’t turn it on at high speed until it’s fixed. It’s bound to happen especially in CA where we got a lot of tailgaters and drivers without insurance.

yeah sadly i have to engage autopilot ONLY WHEN no one is behind me or far far behind me. it's ghost braked on me about 10 times or so now. gets really bad if the car in front of me changes lanes, and now theres no one in front of me.

i'm hoping 21.9 resolves some of this, we'll see. :)

This is especially dangerous in Indianapolis where everyone appears to drive like they're in an Indy car race (leaving less than one car length at 80+ mph).

This has happened to me so many times I've lost count. My wife is not impressed. It scares the hell out of her and she gasps and then I react to her reaction. I do want to stay alert when using autopilot, not nervous and jumpy. :)

Has anyone tried turning off Automatic Emergency Braking? Might this be a workaround to the problem? We have many hundreds of highway miles to drive soon, I think I will disable it and report back if it seems to have any effect.

I think in the current software more than previous, I am experiencing what I would consider unnecessary braking. I have not experienced really hard braking, more like moderate and very brief braking, usually when a car crosses ahead of me. Generally this happens when the other car is so far away I would not consider it necessary. Just once it happened when there was nothing ahead of me, but a car had moved out of my lane a moment before.

TACC also frequently applies the brakes on one road near me where there are a lot of curves and no lane markings. A parked car at the side of the road looks to TACC like a stopped car right in front of me because it cannot tell that the (unmarked) parking lane is not in my path, as momentarily I'm pointing right at the parked car. This behavior has remained unchanged through all the software versions I've had.

Self-driving cars will have to be able to negotiate roads like this without slowing down below the speed limit or suddenly braking every time there's a parked car.

I wish I had the option to tell it to act like an old-fashioned cruise control and disable the heuristics. I'm willing to experiment and play beta tester when I'm alone in the vehicle but having a twitchy cruise control system with twitchy passengers makes for an unpleasant drive.

Anyone else still experiencing this? Seems to be better on 21.9, but happened to me yesterday, while driving down a hill on the freeway, toward the sun, approaching a large overhead traffic sign. No cars in front of me, and thankfully, no one tailgating.