Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Check car when you get it back from a valet/What's the cost for a painted front bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend I had my car valet parked at one of DC's finest hotels and unfortunately the valet damaged the front right corner of my bumper and curbed the right rear wheel when I was standing just a few feet away from the car! I always assumed at a venue similar to the one where this happened I could count on exceptionally skilled valet attendants to take care of cars but guess not.

Whenever you valet park the car and get your car back, walk around your car for damage and check your wheels. I say this because after damaging my car, the valet started arguing with me that he caused no damage when I was right there and heard the sound of the front bumper scrape on the curb. If I wasn't there, I bet he would have just given my car back without saying anything hoping I would not notice.

Thankfully I know the General Manager at the hotel, who got involved personally, and TeslaCam came to the rescue and I could show them exactly how and where the damage happened. They have now agreed to let me fix the car anywhere I chose and they will cover the cost of the damage plus the cost of reinstalling Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating.

So I'm now wondering if it is better to order a front bumper from Tesla or have the front bumper painted at a high end body shop. Someone said it might be cheaper to just buy a pre-painted front bumper and have it installed at a Tesla Service Center. Anyone know what the cost for a pre-painted front bumper is vs having the front bumper repainted?

I was already paranoid about a valet damaging my car and after seeing the level of dishonesty when I was right there and saw what happened, I'm now going to go even more out of my way to not have anyone valet park my car. I'll also carefully check all wheels and body panels in situations where there is no other option than to valet park when I get my car back.

I wish this whole concept of valet parking would just die and every place just offers self parking. So irritating how some places only offer valet parking.

...pre-painted front bumper...

Paint matching might be a concern.

Customized painting the damaged bumper might have a better chance for paint matching with the rest of your car.

...level of dishonesty...

That's not a surprise after Trump's acquitted by almost all Republican Senators except for one.

It happens from the top down in broad daylight.

...valet parking would just die and every place just offers self parking...

Agreed.

I do not like the idea of giving my car key to a stranger who is not certified by Race Car Driver School.

Last weekend I had my car valet parked at one of DC's finest hotels and unfortunately the valet damaged the front right corner of my bumper and curbed the right rear wheel when I was standing just a few feet away from the car! I always assumed at a venue similar to the one where this happened I could count on exceptionally skilled valet attendants to take care of cars but guess not.

Whenever you valet park the car and get your car back, walk around your car for damage and check your wheels. I say this because after damaging my car, the valet started arguing with me that he caused no damage when I was right there and heard the sound of the front bumper scrape on the curb. If I wasn't there, I bet he would have just given my car back without saying anything hoping I would not notice.

Thankfully I know the General Manager at the hotel, who got involved personally, and TeslaCam came to the rescue and I could show them exactly how and where the damage happened. They have now agreed to let me fix the car anywhere I chose and they will cover the cost of the damage plus the cost of reinstalling Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating.

So I'm now wondering if it is better to order a front bumper from Tesla or have the front bumper painted at a high end body shop. Someone said it might be cheaper to just buy a pre-painted front bumper and have it installed at a Tesla Service Center. Anyone know what the cost for a pre-painted front bumper is vs having the front bumper repainted?

I was already paranoid about a valet damaging my car and after seeing the level of dishonesty when I was right there and saw what happened, I'm now going to go even more out of my way to not have anyone valet park my car. I'll also carefully check all wheels and body panels in situations where there is no other option than to valet park when I get my car back.

I wish this whole concept of valet parking would just die and every place just offers self parking. So irritating how some places only offer valet parking.

It sounds like the damage to bumper is superficial, in which case I would definitely have it patched and painted to match / blend in with your car. No sense in ordering an entire bumper and introducing other potential issues. Regarding the cost of two options, why worry about it? Just get a good body shop to repair the right way.

Never valet if you can't

Preach it brotha.

I never let any party park my car even if it's their house rules.
Rather just park it down the street myself or better yet not patronize any venue that forces me to valet.

Sorry to hear of the damage.

Valet parking - No. Just plain No.
I have actually driven away from venues that insist on valet parking only and they have lost my business.

Why are you concerned about cost if the hotel said they will cover it?
Valet drivers must be insured either by the hotel or the contracted Valet company, so I just see this as an potential insurance claim. That said I would never punitively cost an organistation unecessarily when they have offered to sort a problem.

Re the dmage - all down to how severe it is;
It may look superficial but have mounting brackets or bodywork been damaged underneath? Most bumper covers are polypropylene so spring back quite well, this might conceal slightly more serious damage to metalwork.
If the bumper is cracked in any way, and cracks can be difficult to see - don't paint it - all that will happen is the paint with crack again sooner or later even if just down to thermal stresses due to temperature changes.
Cracks can be plastic welded, but really why would you do that?
That said, then if it is just a scuff, paint will be fine.

Just take it to a reputable bodyshop and let them sort it.