Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Check your license plate clips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI. Picked up my model 3 about 2 weeks ago and lost the temp tag yesterday. The top two license plate clips are missing as well. Swung by the service center today and they said they are aware of the problem and waiting for new ones; hopefully within the week. Apparently it just blew off. They were easily able to print me up a new temp tag also which was nice. Thankfully it happened before I had my permanent plate or it would've been a major PITA. Wanted to throw it out there so everyone can keep an eye on theirs. Next time you're in the service center ask if they have the updated clips and they should give you 4 new ones on the spot. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry, I'm a little dense. Are you referring to the plastic clips that the license plate holder screws into (in the rear)? The problem is those can just go flying out?

Is there any way to check or does everyone need the updated clips? I've seen a lot of brand new Model 3s in my area that are missing the rear license plate holder altogether - just figured they were doing it for temporary looks or getting ceramic or something.

Sorry, I'm a little dense. Are you referring to the plastic clips that the license plate holder screws into (in the rear)? The problem is those can just go flying out?

Is there any way to check or does everyone need the updated clips? I've seen a lot of brand new Model 3s in my area that are missing the rear license plate holder altogether - just figured they were doing it for temporary looks or getting ceramic or something.

Correct, it is the plastic clip that snaps into the trunk that the screws go into. She said they are known defective thus the reason for the new batch. Could be under tightening as well or maybe a combination of both. IDK . Probably less chance of a plate coming off since it would have four screws holding the plate on vs the two which held on my temp tag. Clearly didn't take much turbulence though to pull them out so who knows

• Helpful
Reactions: woodisgood
Fake chrome screw covers? Mine just had black screws. Are there supposed to be caps?

These things:
InkedIMG_20180318_210258_LI.jpg

Mine are black too. Picked up a week ago.

Also watch the front plate too.

Mine was off center horizontally and vertically as well. It being vertically off caused the sticky tape to not contact the curve of the bumper.

Tape should be stuck on all edges.

There were gaps on the sides if was vertically positioned wrong.

It pulled off easy because it was not secured. Now it’s on pretty good and would be hard to get off.

Mine are black too. Picked up a week ago.

Also watch the front plate too.

Mine was off center horizontally and vertically as well. It being vertically off caused the sticky tape to not contact the curve of the bumper.

Tape should be stuck on all edges.

There were gaps on the sides if was vertically positioned wrong.

It pulled off easy because it was not secured. Now it’s on pretty good and would be hard to get off.

Front plate you say? Interesting...I only have a rear plate and a spare rear plate. :D

I just checked mine and it’s not going any where. Keep in mind if they use the wrong size screw it won’t spread the clip correctly.

When you take the screw out the clip should wiggle right out out. They are like “rivets”.

That would be my guess. And an easy mistake to make.

Thanks for the photo, was reading and confused about the temp tag blowing off the car. Here in California our temporary tag is a piece of paper folded and adhered to the inside passenger corner of the windshield, It's clear film with red borders and Tesla text on it so it's easily picked up on the windshield. Your photo explains it! But helpful info on the license plate screws for when my real plates arrive.

California:
temp tag california - 1.jpg

Last edited: