Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[PSA] Do not tilt your front seats fully forward...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke to Tesla this morning.

Not covered under warranty. Not totally surprised by that, but a lady on the UK Facebook group got MK service centre to replace hers for free, doing the same thing, after she demoed the car doing it.

Don't remember the exact price but it's in the region of £100+VAT. :(

Reactions: Roy W.
@Durzel so are they do yours foc?
No. Guy on the phone told me that as it was my mistake that it wasn't covered.

The lady on Facebook said that she was told the same initially, but when she demoed the car doing it to her local service centre she managed to convince them to do it FOC.

I get the sense the response will be SC dependant, and which way the wind is blowing.

I plan to have a moan at the ranger when he/she turns up tomorrow, to see if I get any goodwill then, but not holding out much hope. Anecdotal reports elsewhere suggest other people have struggled to get Tesla to goodwill it.

Spoke to Tesla this morning.

Not covered under warranty. Not totally surprised by that, but a lady on the UK Facebook group got MK service centre to replace hers for free, doing the same thing, after she demoed the car doing it.

Don't remember the exact price but it's in the region of £100+VAT. :(
Could it be worthwhile for the rest of us to try to escalate it? It's defo a design flaw and shouldn't be up for discussion/ discretion for it to be remedied

Could it be worthwhile for the rest of us to try to escalate it? It's defo a design flaw and shouldn't be up for discussion/ discretion for it to be remedied
*shrug*

Don't know who you would escalate it to? Tesla is a bit impenetrable when it comes to this stuff.

I didn't know it was a thing until it was pointed out to be by @Medved_77, and after that I did some digging and found various posts all over the place about it. if it hasn't been fixed in software in the last 2 years at least, then I don't think it's ever likely to be fixed.

Last edited:
Just realised what the plastic film that covers so many bits of the car on delivery is for. Mistakenly I had assumed it was just a lack of pdi and preparation.

I was wrong it is actually a very sophisticated lamination system, so glad I left mine in place ;)

Attachments

• 65D6BBDD-57F9-429B-BEF0-EFD92998BDAE.jpeg
    65D6BBDD-57F9-429B-BEF0-EFD92998BDAE.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Funny
Reactions: Durzel
*shrug*

Don't know who you would escalate it to? Tesla is a bit impenetratable when it comes to this stuff.

I didn't know it was a thing until it was pointed out to be by @Medved_77, and after that I did some digging and found various posts all over the place about it. if it hasn't been fixed in software in the last 2 years at least, then I don't think it's ever likely to be fixed.
Good question, I would assume SC manager or an escalation process for Tesla? I haven't needed to go down that route yet (thankfully), maybe someone who has could chime in.

If the demo at the SC worked for someone else, perhaps that could for you and others as well?

Just realised what the plastic film that covers so many bits of the car on delivery is for. Mistakenly I had assumed it was just a lack of pdi and preparation.

I was wrong it is actually a very sophisticated lamination system, so glad I left mine in place ;)
A silver lining I suppose :confused:

edited to say: my wife took mine off the minute she sat in the car

I'm not sure why it needs a clever software solution. There surely should be a mechanical limit to how far forward the seat/seat back can travel so as not to make contact with the visor. You can't open a car door beyond it's design limit because it has a linkage that prevents it.

Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel
£117.40 later and I have a replacement drivers side visor.

I did speak to the senior service tech again yesterday but didn't get anywhere arguing that the car shouldn't let you do it. To be brutally honest I didn't hammer the point home because at the end of the day I did break it myself.

Also the mobile guy who came today replaced both my rear taillights even though only one of them was showing condensation at the time (I had photos of droplets in the other one) so I can't complain too much. He said that the replacement ones are an improved design, and that he hasn't had to replace any of the replacements again, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Also the mobile guy who came today replaced both my rear taillights even though only one of them was showing condensation at the time (I had photos of droplets in the other one) so I can't complain too much. He said that the replacement ones are an improved design, and that he hasn't had to replace any of the replacements again, for what it's worth.
Out of interest, are the replacements noticeably different - in particular do they not have ruddy great big holes in them? I've never seen this on any other car, they have been sealed units or at least that's what I thought, am I wrong?

Out of interest, are the replacements noticeably different - in particular do they not have ruddy great big holes in them? I've never seen this on any other car, they have been sealed units or at least that's what I thought, am I wrong?

Try Google ... it's been an issue on a number of different makes for quite a few years ... mind you, that means Tesla has even less of an excuse! This is one of the aspects that definitely isn't rocket science.