Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Don't hold your stalk up too long to disengage TACC and find yourself in Neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PSA: if you're using the stalk to exit traffic aware cruise control/autopilot, holding it up for about two seconds will not engage regenerative braking, instead shifting to Neutral.

Over the last few weeks, I noticed an odd thing happening: Occasionally, not always, when I would use the shift stalk to disengage TACC, I would find myself drifting along in Neutral gear. It was alarming because I was expecting regenerative braking to slow the car, but instead it was just flying along.

It turns out that if you don't "flick" the stalk up, and hold it too long accidentally, then the car will shift to Neutral. This is intended behavior, as stated in the owner's manual:

Neutral​

Push the drive stalk up or down to the first position and hold it there for more than 1 second to shift into Neutral. Neutral allows Model Y to roll freely when you are not pressing the brake pedal.
First, I can confirm that it is actually more than one second, about two seconds by my timing. Second, I guess I assumed that it would not do this unless in Park and not moving. But I can envision a situation where shifting to Neutral might be an emergency intervention for a runaway motor (I assume that's possible in an EV).

This has been covered here in the last few years: here and here and more recently here, but thought I'd bring it to the attention of folks who might not be aware.

• Informative
Reactions: hellocar and Tam
PSA: if you're using the stalk to exit traffic aware cruise control/autopilot, holding it up for about two seconds will not engage regenerative braking, instead shifting to Neutral.

Over the last few weeks, I noticed an odd thing happening: Occasionally, not always, when I would use the shift stalk to disengage TACC, I would find myself drifting along in Neutral gear. It was alarming because I was expecting regenerative braking to slow the car, but instead it was just flying along.

It turns out that if you don't "flick" the stalk up, and hold it too long accidentally, then the car will shift to Neutral. This is intended behavior, as stated in the owner's manual:

First, I can confirm that it is actually more than one second, about two seconds by my timing. Second, I guess I assumed that it would not do this unless in Park and not moving. But I can envision a situation where shifting to Neutral might be an emergency intervention for a runaway motor (I assume that's possible in an EV).

This has been covered here in the last few years: here and here and more recently here, but thought I'd bring it to the attention of folks who might not be aware.
Not trying to flame here, but why would you hold the stalk for an extended time rather than just operate it as used for the other functions? Just wondering if there was some other expected result.

Got one similar.

Don't flame - I assume full responsibility and control of the car at all tImes (😔)

Car went moving REVERSE almost causing rear-end collision, in FSD Beta.

On FSD Beta, stopped on Red light waiting for right hand turn. There are cars behind me, with fast approaching cross traffic from left. The car creeped (peeked) and decided to go for right hand turn.

I slammed the brake, and on instinct, tapped the gear stalk up once. This combo essentially disabled FSD Beta first, and then me not knowing that I threw the gear in Reverse.

After maybe a second, the light went Green. Me thinking it's on Drive, I proceeded to press on the accelerator. That sensation of moving backwards surprised me but in that split second I stepped on the brake - really close on hitting the car behind me.

My lesson learned - don't assume, trust but verify.

PS: My 2020 MYP does not have PWS - so no Reverse UFO sound.

Not trying to flame here, but why would you hold the stalk for an extended time rather than just operate it as used for the other functions? Just wondering if there was some other expected result.
No worries. That’s a reasonable question. It was not my intent to hold it up. i thought I was just flicking it up, but apparently I was holding it without being conscious that I was.

Reactions: whatthe2