Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Easy fix for front windows that don't completely lower all the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SDKoala

M3LR RWD / MYLR
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
Search doesn't work well on this site, but I didn't see anything related to this topic.

I've had my car for about a month and one of things I noticed on the first day was that the front windows didn't go all the way down. Both front windows stopped short by about 1/2"-3/4" at the B-pillar side. Being a new car and seeing that both driver and front passenger windows were behaving exactly the same, I thought it was weird, but that it was supposed to be like that. See the first photo to see what I mean.

Today, I noticed that my passenger window was all the way down and thought something was wrong with it. The window was going up and down without issues, sealing against the gasket on the door frame, and it didn't look like anything was malfunctioning. The driver's window still would only go down to the point in the first picture.

IMG_20180506_140351.jpg

Remembering how the motorized sunroof of an old Toyota I used to drive needed to be reset every once in a while if it didn't seal all the way, I pressed and held the window button in the down position to see if anything would happen. Sure enough, after about 10 seconds of holding down the button, the window lowered the rest of the way into the door, shown in the second photo.

IMG_20180506_140706.jpg

Now when I lower the window it recesses completely into the door like every other car I've ever driven. I don't think I've broken anything as it's still going up all the way to the same position as before (confirmed by a water mark line at the top edge of the windows). Both sides are still opening correctly a crack when the door is open.

I'd be interested to see how many Model 3s were behaving like mine and how many had windows that lowered all the way at delivery.

A lot of ratings, but no one wants to chime in and say if your windows have gone all the way down since delivery? I'd like to know if mine was one of just a few doing that or if it's a more common quality control problem.

did it adjust the top (closed) height too?

No it did not. I can tell because my car isn't clean and there is a water line that goes all the way across the top of the window from where it presses against the gasket. It still goes up to the same place. I think it does something physical to reset the window position and doesn't change the travel of the motor going up/down. I noticed my front passenger side still sometimes doesn't recess completely into the door (like 1/4" inch short) and I can use my hand to physically push it down the rest of the way and it will work okay again.

Not a big enough issue to take it in for service specifically (especially with the bad experience I had taking it in a couple of weeks after getting the car), but something I'll mention the next time it has to go in for something more serious.

Good information, thanks. I noticed that this weekend, and that technique does force it down (although it failed to roll down all the way again).

That's my experience too (not in the Tesla but in a much older car). The "fix" is something that normally only needs to be done once... if you find you are having to do it more than once (it is repeatedly failing) there is something wrong with the window alignment, motor, sensor, etc.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Wow. Thank you for this.. I just tried it, and it works exactly as you've stated.. My passenger side window was sticking up, probably close to an inch, and my driver about 1/4"... Whenever I noticed it, I made a mental note to call Tesla, and kept forgetting to. Saw this, after a google search, and it works exactly as you've stated. Hold down the button for ten seconds, and they both sucked themselves down to below the weather stripping, and work great... roll up to the top, and retract all the way down, now.

Apologies for double post, didn't see an edit button, on prior post..

For anyone curious, I tried this to my rear windows as well, and they both dropped another inch or more, and continue to seal correctly at close, and retract now, to just where the window crosses and makes perfect line where the door frame and window ledge meet.

Did it change the way they rattle when you close the door with them down? Ours windows went down all the way (fronts, anyway) from delivery onward.
I have no rattle when I shut the door with window down... But I can't honestly remember every shutting the door with the window down, prior to performing this little procedure. Usually when I shut the door, I'm leaving the car, thus the windows are up... Sorry I can't be of more help...

Oh man. They just replaced my window mechanism and motor in my door yesterday because I had this issue on passenger door. Doh! Wish I saw this a day earlier. Haha.

Regarding rattle: yes you can hear a little rattle for a second or two when closing with window down. Bugs me but not major and I don’t do it often.