Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA-Front trunk (frunk) unlatched while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I was driving to work today going down the highway and all of a sudden I get this warning on my screen: “Front trunk unlatched-please close the front trunk before driving.”

Really caught me off guard as I was doing about 60MPH. I pull over to the side of the road and close the frunk. After about another 5 minutes or so I get the same warning. I was almost at my work lot so I continued at a low speed and parked. I discovered that my backpack, which had a bottle of water on the side, was sliding and hitting upon the inside frunk release and opening it while driving.

I now know for the next time. But I would’ve thought that if the inside frunk release was inadvertently activated at highway speeds it shouldn’t be opening? The good thing is it was only partially open and not totally unlatched.

B7406444-D089-4C37-9B1D-3B86FB14BAD5.jpeg

So, I was driving to work today going down the highway and all of a sudden I get this warning on my screen: “Front trunk unlatched-please close the front trunk before driving.”

Really caught me off guard as I was doing about 60MPH. I pull over to the side of the road and close the frunk. After about another 5 minutes or so I get the same warning. I was almost at my work lot so I continued at a low speed and parked. I discovered that my backpack, which had a bottle of water on the side, was sliding and hitting upon the inside frunk release and opening it while driving.

I now know for the next time. But I would’ve thought that if the inside frunk release was inadvertently activated at highway speeds it shouldn’t be opening? The good thing is it was only partially open and not totally unlatched.

View attachment 448862
This happened to me. It was 5 min fix by the tech, the latch was to slightly too far forward, sitting a mm or too far into the curve of the hook.

Good news is there’s a second latching mechanism keeping it from slamming in your face.

I discovered that my backpack, which had a bottle of water on the side, was sliding and hitting upon the inside frunk release and opening it while driving.
Yeah, I think that is a bit of a design flaw. The button should be more recessed into the plastic cover. Less likely to be triggered by some item sliding around, and a child trapped in the frunk would still see it and be able to push it.
I now know for the next time. But I would’ve thought that if the inside frunk release was inadvertently activated at highway speeds it shouldn’t be opening?
My guess is that the button is directly wired to the electric latch rather than controlled by the computer, so it reliably opens even if the car is in sleep mode or the computer crashed.

Thanks for sharing your experience and the cause. I will make sure my wife and I take this into consideration when loading the frunk.

I am certain that the button is a legal requirement to prevent entrapment though the small size kind of does the same thing, not many people would fit. I wonder is a clear flip up cover would meet the legal requirement?

It should open at any speed. Keep in mind the only reason the inside release exists to let someone (it would have to be a small child to get in the frunk) that's trapped in the frunk escape. I don't think a speed lock is in line with that concept.
I understand the concept, but it’s a crappy design if cargo bumping it can open it. Don’t think it would be very helpful if someone trapped in there opened it while the car was at highway speed. Anyway, at this point I’m looking for a solution (obviously other than not putting anything in there).

I wonder is a clear flip up cover would meet the legal requirement?
I agree simply taping a clear piece of stiff plastic over the button would do the trick. Anyone trapped in there can flip the plastic cover up and press the button.

I keep a small duffel bag in the trunk and I loop the shoulder strap around the flip-up cargo hooks to keep the bag from sliding forward and possibly hitting the release button.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I understand the concept, but it’s a crappy design if cargo bumping it can open it.
Indeed strange, if that was it that should have been disabled by interlock when the vehicle was in motion.

On the screen, after the hood had come up and you stopped to Park, did it still show the “Open” button for the frunk (meaning the software thinks the frunk is still closed)?

View attachment 448862
The inside release has to function when driving by law... it's an anti-kidnapping feature but good to know it can be hit inadvertently... DEFINATELY let Tesla know.

But it only releases the first step while in motion? It has to be in Park (or at least not moving) to release the second latch?

Seems....odd. Mitigation of suffocation risk makes more sense to me.

Well, the second latch can be moved by hand from inside, it may be the best compromise but dont like that it can be hit accidentally.

But it only releases the first step while in motion? It has to be in Park (or at least not moving) to release the second latch?
Yes. The law appears to be fairly smart:

49 CFR § 571.401 - Standard No. 401; Interior trunk release.

[...]
(1) For passenger cars with a front trunk compartment that has a front opening trunk lid required to have a secondary latching position or latch system, actuation of the release mechanism required by paragraph S4.1 of this standard must result in the following:

(i) When the passenger car is stationary, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;

(ii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed less than 5 km/h, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, and may release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;

(iii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h or greater, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, but must not release the trunk lid from the secondary latching position or latch system.

Yes. The law appears to be fairly smart:

49 CFR § 571.401 - Standard No. 401; Interior trunk release.

[...]
(1) For passenger cars with a front trunk compartment that has a front opening trunk lid required to have a secondary latching position or latch system, actuation of the release mechanism required by paragraph S4.1 of this standard must result in the following:

(i) When the passenger car is stationary, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;

(ii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed less than 5 km/h, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, and may release the trunk lid from all latching positions or latch systems;

(iii) When the passenger car is moving forward at a speed of 5 km/h or greater, the release mechanism must release the trunk lid from the primary latching position or latch system, but must not release the trunk lid from the secondary latching position or latch system.
Thank you for the link. It does seem cut & dry there.

How much you can guard physically against accidental activation is a balance vs ease of intended activation in dark, cramped confines. Although yes, the button does & must glow I don’t think you can assume the person inside can see it directly.

Reactions: Guy V