Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA Frunk Dents Super Easy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an aluminum front hood on my 2017 Bolt, it's very fragile too. You have to drop it from about 12" up to engage the first lock then gently press down on both sides of the center-front to engage the second lock. I try to open it only when the wiper fluid needs refilling, and I make sure I fill that to the brim each time.
I've had a '19 Bolt for over 1.5 years and have never noticed any fragility. I'm on various Bolt forums and FB groups daily and have never heard anything like this until now. If it's been discussed, it's certainly not a frequent item for the past ~21 months.

The Bolt manual (page 260 for model year '19) says for the procedure (besides putting the prop rod back and closing all caps):
Lower the hood 20 cm (8 in)
above the vehicle and release
it so it fully latches. Check to
make sure the hood is firmly
closed. Repeat the process if
necessary.
It says nothing about what you're doing. On my Bolt, I just drop mine from a distance until it closes. Not aware of any dents... yet.

I had an aluminum hood (they were OEM) on my former '06 Prius (had for over 13 years) and an 04 350Z (had for over 7 years) and also have never noticed any such fragility.

Last edited: