Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA Frunk Dents Super Easy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm skeptical that it dents "super easy." It's very similar to the Model 3 trunk and I've seen those manhandled and mistreated quite often without a problem. I certainly know ours hasn't been treated too well and it has never dented. That said, it's very easy to close with the two hand method suggested by Tesla and I don't think there's any reason to avoid using the frunk for fear of damaging the hood.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Do you have a description/link to the new spring you installed?
Records from that era are spotty at best...
But it was either 2.25 or 1.88 length (both work well because of the latch travel and resting position) and I found my sweet spot to be between 8 and 12 lbs/in (sorry for the freedom units)
I’m sure an equivalently good option can be found in more mainstream hardware stores but I think this is what I ended up with
PE063-500-19937-SST-1880-MH-N-IN
in the aptly called The Spring Store - The Spring Store where I get stuff for other projects

** but important clarification:
I am realizing I did this in my model 3, as I we haven’t gotten our 7 seat Y yet, It may be worth checking if the frunk latch housing and spring is the same as 3

I'm skeptical that it dents "super easy." It's very similar to the Model 3 trunk and I've seen those manhandled and mistreated quite often without a problem. I certainly know ours hasn't been treated too well and it has never dented. That said, it's very easy to close with the two hand method suggested by Tesla and I don't think there's any reason to avoid using the frunk for fear of damaging the hood.
My week old MY has a dent and i've only opened/closed it 2 times.. Closer VERY softly each time. My thumb likely was too high and caused it to dent.. It's at the some height as the logo, not above it.

My week old MY has a dent and i've only opened/closed it 2 times.. Closer VERY softly each time. My thumb likely was too high and caused it to dent.. It's at the some height as the logo, not above it.
I thought my frunk was dented too but it was pulling downward so tightly that it was bending the hood. I adjusted the 2 rubber bump stops on the underside of the hood and now it closes with ease and the “dents” are gone.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor and JMar
I opened my frunk for the second time ever, and when I closed it, I was too gentle and it didn't count as fully closed. I found out when I got a warning about not being able to use my windshield wipers.

Popping the frunk and shutting it again, a little more firmly, fixed it, but I really, really wish the frunk opened and closed automatically, like my lifegate.

Elon, if you're listening...

It's not just Tesla, the hood on my 2017 Bolt was aluminum as well. You had to be super careful when washing it to prevent making dents.
So are people afraid of aluminum? No. It's not about aluminum, it's about actual design (bends, thickness, frame below the surface..)
BMW has aluminum hoods since 2005 (and doors, and trunks) and never has anybody complained about dents. Ever.

Reactions: cucubits
So are people afraid of aluminum? No. It's not about aluminum, it's about actual design (bends, thickness, frame below the surface..).
I guess the reason the hood on the Bolt and Frunk on the MY are aluminum is to save weight? It's certainly not less expensive than steel. So, great idea, but as you alluded to.. .it needs proper support under the skin and around the hinges and latch and large open areas that are prone to bellying. In the end, once you add the extra cost, all the proper supports, and use a thick enough gauge of aluminum to prevent damage during everyday use.. maybe better off just using steel hoods like many conventional automobiles have for years and years? The aluminum front hood on the Bolt was just heavy enough that you only had to drop it from about 12-18" to lock it in place.. no pressing needed. If you had to press down on it to lock in place, we would have probably seen denting issues too.

This is my fear of using the frunk, denting and the whole finger print/palm prints. I recently bought Hansshow's power frunk kit, and I can now freely use it to my heart's content.

As a side bonus, having the Stats app also makes it easy to just voice control and open the frunk as I am approaching my car.

Curious here, are you denting it while following their recommendation for closing the frunk?

Both hands on either side of the logo, and a firm press down? I won’t say the frunk isn’t a little tedious to close this way, but I haven’t seen any denting issues on my 3 when closed as prescribed.

Hmmm . . . when I picked up my MY, the employee told me I need to use both hands and really put my body weight into it. Two hands firmly pressing will not close it - I'm doing a half-handstand on the hood. Now I'm worried that my hood will eventually bend out of shape using their suggested method of closing the frunk.

Hmmm . . . when I picked up my MY, the employee told me I need to use both hands and really put my body weight into it. Two hands firmly pressing will not close it - I'm doing a half-handstand on the hood. Now I'm worried that my hood will eventually bend out of shape using their suggested method of closing the frunk.
Definitely both hands, on either side of the T. You should press firmly, but you’ll hear it lock in. Definitely shouldn’t need to press excessively to get it to secure in place.

So are people afraid of aluminum? No. It's not about aluminum, it's about actual design (bends, thickness, frame below the surface..)
BMW has aluminum hoods since 2005 (and doors, and trunks) and never has anybody complained about dents. Ever.

This! Tesla is not particularly good at building cars and most likely didn't put too much R&D in material thickness and design.

I noticed the extremely flimsy frunk on the Model S as well. The center section is paper like flimsy. Noticed when cleaning, even the gentlest, I mean really can't touch it any more gently, it just bends and springs back. So much so that I'm wondering if these parts don't wobble at speed from the wind hitting them just right of from resonating frequencies.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Tesla is not the first car to specify two hands on either side of the front center to engage latch.

All MGB's from the 1960's and 1970's had aluminum hoods. Owners manual specifically instructed to use two hands to close the hood without creating a center dent. You have to push where there is structure under the skin.

Just adjusted the latch. I can close it with one hand with a very light touch.

I take this back. When I put the paneling back the hood overrided the front bumper lip. I was worried that water would get in with this gap. I had to go back to factory levels. The problem is not with the latch, but with the plastic paneling on the surface. Even if you remove the latch you still have to put a considerable amount of pressure to get the two edges aligned.