Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: HomeLink through Tesla app has no closing-door warning.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
If I use the MyQ app or Apple’s HomeKit to close my garage door, the opener will beep and opener light will flash for six seconds or so before closing. This is a specific safety feature.

Closing the door with the Tesla app is instant. No warning on closing. Just an FYI for those with kids etc.

Most jurisdictions require safety sensors to force the door opener's action into an "open the door" state if an object is detected. These are the light / motion sensors at the base of garage doors. It has nothing to do with Homelink, and is integrated with the opener.

Most jurisdictions require safety sensors to force the door opener's action into an "open the door" state if an object is detected. These are the light / motion sensors at the base of garage doors. It has nothing to do with Homelink, and is integrated with the opener.

Yes... but as OP says if you have a "myQ" enabled garage door opener you can already open / close with an app, and when you close the opener will beep loudly a few times before actioning. It doesnt with homelink (or pressing a garage door button opener button either remote or wall style).

I wouldnt expect a remote homelink trigger to do it either, but nothing wrong with letting people know.

Yes... but as OP says if you have a "myQ" enabled garage door opener you can already open / close with an app, and when you close the opener will beep loudly a few times before actioning. It doesnt with homelink (or pressing a garage door button opener button either remote or wall style).

I wouldnt expect a remote homelink trigger to do it either, but nothing wrong with letting people know.
The Tesla app just uses the car to open or close the garage, which is seen the same as pressing the remote door button (which doesn't beep) and also why the car has to be at home for it to work. It would be cool if Tesla could do the myQ thing and just not need the homelink part (then it would know garage door state as well).

Reactions: fseir