Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: if dashcam shows X after recent update for side cameras, try a larger size USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the past couple of months I've been using an old 4GB USB drive (yeah I know it's small) for the dashcam feature and it's been working well.
Then, after the recent update to also capture footage from the side cameras, I noticed that I keep seeing an X icon for my dash cam. I tried taking it out, reformatting, and plugging back in, and it would work for a day, then same thing would happen.

I started to notice that the drive was always totally filled up when I removed it, and the timestamp of the files was always from the day I had reformatted the drive, with nothing recent showing up. It was as if once the drive filled it, it just stopped writing to it, instead of deleting the older footage and overwriting with newer footage.

Then I finally stumbled upon the 3rd post here:
USB corruption for dashcam recording

and it reminded me that:
1) the dash cam needs to store approximately 1 hour of most recent footage before deleting old video
2) hour long video footage loop requires approx. 1.8 GB of free space
3) if space is not available, an X icon appears (I had previously thought X mean disk is corrupt since that's what everyone else kept saying)

then I realized what was the problem. Before the update, my 4GB drive worked ok since it was enough to handle at least the 1.8GB required for the hour loop. But after the update, there are now 3 cameras being recorded, so now I needed at least 3x1.8GB = 5.4GB for an hour loop. But my drive was only 4GB so was too small.

So I found an 8GB drive laying around and am trying it now, and so far have not seen any problems.

So anyway, just wanted to share my experience in case others have problems, since the cause was not clear to me at first. If in the future they decided to record from even more cameras, then the minimum size (num_cameras x 1.8GB) will go up as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and Tam
If you plan to use Sentry Mode you’ll need more flashdrive space than that. If your car senses someone in the area and triggers it, it will save 10-minutes worth of every triggered event times the 3 current cameras (approximately 30MB each minute). Park in a parking garage with lots of people going by and you’ll be seeing Xs once again.

Reactions: xanatos