Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: If you exit the car from the passenger side, the car will continue to be "on."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's something new. I had to park in a place where I had to get so close on the driver's side that I could not get out so I had to scoot over to the front passenger seat and exit that way. The car was in Park, so as usual I manually pressed Lock on the key fob and walked away.

I'm crazy :D, as I sometimes check in on the car when possible, so imagine my surprise to see the exterior lights on, the center screen on, and music still playing when I later checked in on the car.

Lesson learned. Next time I'm not able to exit from the driver's side, put the car in Park and then slightly open and close the driver's side door. This essentially turns the car off so when you exit from the passenger side door, the car will lock properly and be off like it is normally.

I guess it's a good thing that I'm crazy to check in on the parked car or I would not have known this :p

Not quite a concern.

Even if you leave from the passenger's side, the car will eventually power off . . . I don't know the exact timing, but it's not going to stay "on" forever.

Good to know. I returned to the car perhaps 15-20 minutes later when I found it "on."

Almost looked like someone left the car with it "running" so best not to attract any unwanted attention with the car appearing to be "on" even for a "short" time.

Don't trust it.

Certainly not where I parked, where there is just an iron railing on the driver's side and then a 10 foot drop!

I don't even feel comfortable with using summon in my very narrow garage given how much the proximity sensors freak out screaming "stop" when I park the car.

When the space gets below 10 inches, the parking proximity sensors just scream "stop" and I wish it continued to count down as they become useless just when I need them the most when I park in my garage.

Would be great if summon is updated to work in very narrow parking garages. Mine is so narrow 'm not sure I'd have enough time to stop it if the car makes a weird turn while trying to park and it's impossible to notice both sides of the car when you have just a few inches on each side.

Now if Tesla Insurance covered summon including a Tesla loaner, I'd be more inclined to use summon :p

Last edited:
This is known and discussed here on the forum in the past. The car will stay "on" till the battery depletes to zero and goes in protection mode.
The workaround when you need to exit from passenger side is to slightly open the driver door and reclose it BEFORE moving to the passenger side. This way the car will know that the driver exited* and will accept lock from the fob.

* driver door opens and closes, driver sear with no weight on it.

So here's something new. I had to park in a place where I had to get so close on the driver's side that I could not get out so I had to scoot over to the front passenger seat and exit that way. The car was in Park, so as usual I manually pressed Lock on the key fob and walked away.

I'm crazy :D, as I sometimes check in on the car when possible, so imagine my surprise to see the exterior lights on, the center screen on, and music still playing when I later checked in on the car.

Lesson learned. Next time I'm not able to exit from the driver's side, put the car in Park and then slightly open and close the driver's side door. This essentially turns the car off so when you exit from the passenger side door, the car will lock properly and be off like it is normally.

I guess it's a good thing that I'm crazy to check in on the parked car or I would not have known this :p
This isn't new. It's been discussed here before. As has been said above , slightly open and close the driver door. The other quick alternative is open the charge port door with the touch screen, which powers down the car.

If you front passenger leaves via driver's door, the car will stay on all night. Not 100% reproducible but happens often enough. It took us a while to figure that one out - why is the car on in the garage without a key in it? After it happened to a loaner, we knew it's not our car that's broken. Oh, by the way you can also drive the car when it gets stuck in this weird state, until you shift it back to park, then it starts looking for a key.