Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: If you still haven't received your permanent plates, keep bugging them about it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My temporary plates expired today and Tesla was scrambling to get me another set of temporary ones.

I originally called around 3 weeks before my temp plates (CA) were about to expire and they told me to wait until the expiration date to call again. I called again a few days before the expiration and they sent me new registration forms to fill out. I honestly think they did not even do the work required to get my permanent plates until just now.

They told me they will at least get me in the system so if I get pulled over for it, they can run a check and I'll be ok, but still really annoying. If you haven't received your plates from Tesla, and your expiration date is nearing, bug them. Don't feel bad about it. Keep bugging them. Make SURE they've done their paperwork. I was told a few times that they had "created a request" on my behalf. I learned today that that means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I used my temp tags for almost two months. I called the DMV and they said to just ask Tesla for an update. I ended getting them about 2.5 months later. Though, DMV told me to contact the dealer specifically.

So I picked up a MYP 9/21 from a delivery center and it took 3 months for the plates to arrive. Weird thing was I never signed anything other than the doing the online stuff. Definitely Tesla's fault because my other ICE car took less than 4 weeks and I bought it around the same time. CA DMV told me Tesla didn't finish the registration when Tesla said the DMV is backlogged (BS).

I had another MYP home delivered 3 weeks ago and it had a UPS envelope inside with DMV papers to sign. I signed those and mailed those out about a week after receiving the car. 2 weeks later the plates showed up. Both cars were processed from the same delivery center. So basically... unpredictable
I posted this a few days ago in another thread.

No rhyme or reason to it...

I just posted about the clown show I’ve been dealing Tesla Finance and re-registration. Multiple emails indicate they’ve started the process, but we keep going back to the beginning every month with new copies of drivers licenses, insurance cards and address confirmation.

I get sent to voicemail. Is there another number I can try to talk to an actual human being?

I just posted about the clown show I’ve been dealing Tesla Finance and re-registration. Multiple emails indicate they’ve started the process, but we keep going back to the beginning every month with new copies of drivers licenses, insurance cards and address confirmation.

I get sent to voicemail. Is there another number I can try to talk to an actual human being?

Honestly I got through to a human and they legit told me to wait until the temp plates expired before calling them again. Such a shitty experience. It was only after texting my sales advisor did I make any progress. I think that actually might be your best bet depending on how cool you are with them. He was swamped with end of quarter stuff but still made time to help me with it (and I hadn't spoken to him since I took delivery on NYE)

Bought on 12/27, still don't have permanent plates now. I have until 3/27 before the temporary plates expire.

They told me to wait another week or week and a half.

How does it take them so long? Isn't it just paperwork? They should get an intern to do all the paperwork if it is...

I still don’t have my plates either. So far Tesla customer service sucks. They are a new company and have a lot of young people working for them. I feel if don’t have an instant answer they just ingnore you. I will keep my testa for 3-4 yes and probably switch to a manufacture that has better cust service. I don’t think I ever even had to deal with BS like this with any other car I ever bought.