Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - Keep Those EV Power Cords Tidy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
Just a PSA for everyone to keep those EV power cords tidy, really pay attention if you need to walk over one, and avoid what I've gone through over the last two months.

On Memorial Day weekend, I parked the Leaf at home and did what I've done almost 1,000 times before in 10 months of ownership, walk over the power cord to head inside. This time, not successfully. I apparently stepped on the cord with one foot, caught my other foot on the cord, tripped and fell to the floor dislocating and fracturing my shoulder. No stairs were involved, I just fell flat on the floor and hit "just right". The fracture was both on the humerus (the ball) and the glenoid (the socket) of the shoulder. A week later, open (not laparoscopic) surgery to fix the fractures with a plate, numerous screws, bone grafts, etc.... I'm currently six weeks out from surgery and still a long way to go on the road to recovery. The fractures are close to being healed (the pain has mostly subsided), so Physical Therapy starts in a couple weeks where I'll try to get my range of motion back. Being in my early 40's, and with the apparent success of the surgery, I should be able to fully recover. The original estimate before the surgery was a 4-6 month recover total.

In the past, I always mocked the Health & Safety group at work. I work in a technology company and they would write us up for having extension cords laying on the floor between rows of computer hardware. I guess I won't be mocking them any more and might become the Extension Cord Nazi at work. :)

I've had people joke that I need to put my medical expenses into my spreadsheet for tracking expenses on my vehicles. Oddly enough, even if I put it all my medical expenses, it only pushes out the payback time for purchasing the Leaf out a month or two. I drive about 1,000 miles per month and I replaced a pickup that got about 13 mpg as my daily driver. In 1 year and 10,0000 miles, the cost per mile of my Leaf is already down to what my pickup cost me over 11 years and 98,000 miles on a per mile basis. I kept the pickup as my ICE vehicle for long trips and to tow the trailer the couple times a year that I need that.

Just be careful out there. This was not how I wanted to spend my summer. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405349099.250975.jpg

Here's what I did.

Here's what I did.
I've been advocating that exact solution for quite a while. Usually people ridicule it though... (I take as my inspiration the ambulance that I drive, it has a shore power cord hanging from the ceiling that automatically ejects from the vehicle when you start the engine, and the spring loaded cover closes and you can drive off without thinking. When you park again the cord is dangling at the exact right location to simply plug back in.)
It's too bad Tesla didn't put an auto-eject on theirs, would be more convenient.

Auto-eject would indeed be a terrific feature and, as you say, it already is standard technology - ambulances and fire trucks have'em.

Fortunately, in my own life style, I'm simply never in a hurry - life's too precious to waste it on hurrying. I know many others aren't so lucky.

Here's what I did.
Yep, similar thing for me, though with a weight balancer. I had a photo in a thread here a couple years ago, but I can't find it.

Edit: found it (via Google, couldn't with the TMC search). Attaching seems to blow the image out of scale, not sure why.

I've changed how I've got the cord strung up a bit (loops are mostly on a hook, the balancer just does has the handle and enough cord to reach), but it still basically looks the same. The balancer retracts and pulls the cords up a few feet when I unplug.
P1110091.JPG

Last edited: