Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: keycard can scratch the piano-black console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife wasn't sure where to place her keycard, so she tried the piano black portion of the center console. To my horror, it scratched up the console quite a bit. Yes, the keycard. So, don't do that! Or touch it with anything else, for that matter.

My wife wasn't sure where to place her keycard, so she tried the piano black portion of the center console. To my horror, it scratched up the console quite a bit. Yes, the keycard. So, don't do that! Or touch it with anything else, for that matter.
Horrible material choice for that part of the car. Really makes you wonder what goes through the heads at tesla sometimes.

Good to know! Just got my 3 2 days ago. Have an S. I purchased a "Valet Buddy" from RPMTesla.com Basically a clear card pocket with a cable and ring attached. It has the T logo in your car's color, supposedly making it easier for the valet to find by ID'ing it by the color of your car first...sure I could've spent $2 and made one myself but I was already ordering stuff, and it had the logo :)
They advise keeping the empty Buddy in the car and placing the keycard in when you valet--I'll do that when I need to use keycard as well to avoid scratching!

Piano black needs to die as a car interior choice. In addition to being indistinguishable from black plastic, it scratches like crazy and gets fingerprint marks with the slightest touch. I can't understand why manufacturers use it other than it's presumably dirt cheap.

Depends on the manufacturer. Check this out to see how to properly make a wooden and/or piano black car interior/dash:

:)

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Depends on the manufacturer. Check this out to see how to properly make a wooden and/or piano black car interior/dash:

:)
I had piano black trim in my Range Rover supercharged, a car that cost over twice a loaded model 3. It looked like black plastic, and showed every spec of dust and every fingerprint. It was several thousand dollars worth of wood that was visually indistinguishable from injection molded plastic. Never again.