TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voip-ninja, Sep 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Just a PSA here, apparently a large # of vehicles were manufactuered somewhere in the 99x, 100x VIN series that have a defective steering control module.

This has been discussed recently in the "other" forum but owners here might want to be aware of the problem so if they are stung with it they know how to communicate the problem to Tesla.

The issue is that the left turn signal never resets. So, if you do the "half push" to get three blinks or you do the continuous push down of the left turn signal and expect it to reset after completing a turn, it never does.

You can check this before pickup even without driving the car. Half press the right signal to see how it works, it blinks three times then stops. Now do it on the left side. If it never stops blinking you have this problem. Up to you at that point how to proceed (making them fix it before pickup, insist on mobile service, etc.).

It requires a new part to repair as the one the car was built with is defective.

This is not being checked before delivery so the first time you might discover it is at drive off and nobody loves going in for service immediately after taking delivery of a brand new car.

Fortunately for me I was able to get them to commit to having a mobile service tech come to my place of work to replace the part once it arrives at the service center.

• Informative x 12
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Adding this to my checklist for tomorrow...

3. voip-ninja

I should add that I don't in fact "know" that it's a large number of vehicles... however there are quite a few reports at M3OC and Tesla was also aware of "that problem" when I described it.

4. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

I felt something was off so I just decided to not use my turn signal anymore. :D

I'm in the 55,000 range though.

I will check again when I get my car back from PPF. Did you get your car already?

• Funny x 2
  5. voip-ninja

I picked my car up yesterday but don't have PPF/ceramic appointment till early November as that was first availability at the shop I wanted to use.

• Like x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Maybe shop will do you a solid and just PPF the front bumper for now. That's where most of the action happens.

Glad you didn't see anything severe enough to reject the car. I feel problems are overstated even though my own wasn't pristine.

7. voip-ninja

The only thing I've noticed in the past 24 hours is that one of the rear doors is aligned a little below the "ideal" line, the other one is spot on.

I am worried about bumper highway rash too but not sure there's much to do about it... there's no way I'm getting into that shop for another month. I suppose I could have PPF done somewhere else and just have them do the ceramic, but they were expecting to do both.

8. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

My car with VIN 64xxx has a similar issue, although I can sometimes get the 3-blink to work by only touching the stalk *very* lightly.

Some users in this thread have reported this as well:

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

9. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

I'll be 88xxx and will keep this in mind. Thanks.

10. GBleck

GBleck Member

64xxx same. Didn't realize it wasn't a technique issue for several days. It's a mobile fix. Mildly annoying. Also had a bad break clip but that was a simple fix in the shop.

11. sduck

sduck Member

What's a turn signal?

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2
  12. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Whats fun is doing a lane change with auto pilot on. After changing to the left lane it blinks about 12 more times before it's finally able to turn it off. It seems to try to turn it off a few times because I hear what I can best describe as a half blink.

13. emilylaguna

emilylaguna New Member

77xxx confirmed the issue. Left will stay in regardless of press. Even taking a hard left will not turn it off. Called my service center to schedule a fix.

14. Saxena

Saxena Member

We also had this issue, vin 995xx, and they replaced the steering control module earlier this week. We mentioned that others also are having the same problem, but the service rep hadn't heard of this issue yet.

15. Altimas

Altimas Member

I had the issue, service center fixed it no problem.
    106xxx

16. gundamz44

gundamz44 Why Not?

i m 56xxx and noticed the left turn. It works fine with the right turn signal. Does Tesla has a fix for this issue? I also noticed my right turn will not stay on for more than 3 blinks. If you use the auto lane change, it will stopped half way through the change and snap back to the lane.

17. voip-ninja

To fully engage the signal you need to push the stalk down firmly. It’s not clear from your description if your signal is actually broken.

18. gundamz44

gundamz44 Why Not?

I will give it a try later today. But from what I recalled, I can't get the right signal to permanently stay on from full push or partial push down the stalk.

19. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

I called Tesla and they told me this was not a mobile fixable part that had to be fixed at the service center. I have a Monday 9 am drop off.

20. asmite

asmite Member

I picked up M3 AWD on 9/12 and noticed on my way home that my left turn signal is in fact not working as design. Since I'm two hours away from the service center, they are going to send a mobile unit to replace the turn signal control.