Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - left turn signal doesn't reset - defective steering control module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Im having this issue too. Seems turning right, I push up all the way, and I only get 3 blinks. But if I push Really far up (more than normal), it seems to behave naturally.

Im gonna try and pinpoint it tonight, but good to know I'm probably not going crazy.

Actually what you're describing is normal. The way the turn signals work is that pushing a "normal" feeling amount gives you three blinks. This is normal for cars like BMWs. Pushing past the resistance point until the turn signal physically stops has the turn signal fully engaged, for making a turn.

In the case of the 3 blinks, obviously the turn signal should stop blinking after 3 blinks. In the case of the "full turn" activation (you pushed the signal stalk until it physically stopped the signal stays on) it should reset after you complete a turn.

If your signal behaves this way it is not broken and it's not my intention that people who just don't understand how their car works report a problem that isn't there.

If your signal simply stays on, such as, you do the 3 blink mode but it just goes forever, or you make a turn after having it hard engaged and it never resets, then you probably DO have this problem.

Reactions: neroden
Actually what you're describing is normal. The way the turn signals work is that pushing a "normal" feeling amount gives you three blinks. This is normal for cars like BMWs. Pushing past the resistance point until the turn signal physically stops has the turn signal fully engaged, for making a turn.

In the case of the 3 blinks, obviously the turn signal should stop blinking after 3 blinks. In the case of the "full turn" activation (you pushed the signal stalk until it physically stopped the signal stays on) it should reset after you complete a turn.

If your signal behaves this way it is not broken and it's not my intention that people who just don't understand how their car works report a problem that isn't there.

If your signal simply stays on, such as, you do the 3 blink mode but it just goes forever, or you make a turn after having it hard engaged and it never resets, then you probably DO have this problem.

It’s possible to have the behavior you describe and still have the blinker be faulty. Mine was - it wouldn’t stay on consistently after pushing past the point of resistance, at least in one direction. You would have to push it a bit harder or hold it for a second for it to stick. The other direction worked predictably without additional effort. My guess is the stalk, but the guy at the service center mentioned replacing the steering control module when I was dropping off the car. Looking forward to seeing the actual fix...

Took delivery of my p3d+ this past friday and had the left turn issue as well. I did notice that if I ever so slightly tapped it to the left I can sometimes get the 3 blink to work. Wasn’t a big deal to me and was willing to deal with it until the car was in the shop. But since my car had to be towed to the service center within 24hr of delivery....I’m having them address the blinker now while its there.

so i have this with a 55x vin i picked up about 2 weeks ago. i was told by my service center that this is a known problem and they are waiting for a software fix.

why is everybody else getting their hardware replaced if this is a software bug?

used to be that the left turn signal just didn't deactivate after a turn. now, when i turn it off it turns on the right turn signal and when u turn that off the left turns on and i have to turn that off. i know the difference between a soft tap and a hard tap, doesn't matter how softly i tap.

do i need to escalate this issue again? i'm really irritated and kind of afraid to test out auto lane change with my turn signals all wonky.

so i have this with a 55x vin i picked up about 2 weeks ago. i was told by my service center that this is a known problem and they are waiting for a software fix.

why is everybody else getting their hardware replaced if this is a software bug?

used to be that the left turn signal just didn't deactivate after a turn. now, when i turn it off it turns on the right turn signal and when u turn that off the left turns on and i have to turn that off. i know the difference between a soft tap and a hard tap, doesn't matter how softly i tap.

do i need to escalate this issue again? i'm really irritated and kind of afraid to test out auto lane change with my turn signals all wonky.

There is another forum where multiple people have had the problem corrected by having the steering control module replaced.

THIS EXACTLY! So why is my service center telling me that this is a software issue?!?

How do I approach this to get the stupid thing fixed?

I don't know what to tell you.... I also can't rule out that Tesla engineers are trying to fix a problem with a defective component in software so that Tesla does not have to replace thousands and thousands of defective steering control modules at a cost of millions of dollars.

I have a service appointment Thursday with a mobile tech, I will report back to this thread the outcome.

Reactions: Jedi2155
My left turn signals acts strange sometimes. Pushing half way instead of full, expecting only 3 clicks and turning off, sometime just stays on clicking till i manually have to turn it off. I first i thought i was just crazy, but i started to pay more attention and it does so randomly.

My left turn signals acts strange sometimes. Pushing half way instead of full, expecting only 3 clicks and turning off, sometime just stays on clicking till i manually have to turn it off. I first i thought i was just crazy, but i started to pay more attention and it does so randomly.

I thought mine was intermittent until it became clear it was just the left turn signal.

Sitting in the car, soft-click (not past the detent) up on the right turn signal. You should get three blinks then off. Hard-click (past the detent) the same direction. You should get ongoing blinks. Next do the same for the left turn signal. If you observe ongoing blinks with both a soft-click and a hard-click, you have the same hardware problem described in this thread. Call service to schedule replacement of the Steering Column Control Module.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Sitting in the car, soft-click (not past the detent) up on the right turn signal. You should get three blinks then off. Hard-click (past the detent) the same direction. You should get ongoing blinks. Next do the same for the left turn signal. If you observe ongoing blinks with both a soft-click and a hard-click, you have the same hardware problem described in this thread. Call service to schedule replacement of the Steering Column Control Module.

mine does this intermittently on left signals. that is the difference that you guys see. it's more annoying at this point but when it gets on my nerves enough, i will call SC and see.

I have the left blinker issue as well...emailed service center, waiting for a response

Half (Light) Right Press = 3 Blinks
Hard (Full) Right Press = Continuous until i either turn fully to the right or disengage blinker by pressing left blinker half way.
Half (Light) Left Press = Continuous until i either turn fully to the left or disengage blinker by pressing right blinker half way.
Note = If i slightly hold it down (1.4 way) as im doing a lane change (holding it the entire time) and let go when done, 75% of the time it stops when i let go.

Hard (Full) Right Press = Continuous until i either turn fully to the left or disengage blinker by pressing right blinker half way.

It’s possible to have the behavior you describe and still have the blinker be faulty. Mine was - it wouldn’t stay on consistently after pushing past the point of resistance, at least in one direction. You would have to push it a bit harder or hold it for a second for it to stick. The other direction worked predictably without additional effort. My guess is the stalk, but the guy at the service center mentioned replacing the steering control module when I was dropping off the car. Looking forward to seeing the actual fix...

Thanks. Same is for me..
I confirmed after doing some deliberate testing. The problem I'm having is the Right vs Left do not function the same. I can go past the point of resistance on Right (up), and it's hit or miss if the blinker stays on (usually miss). While doing the same amount of force past the point of resistance left (down), locks the blinker on.
If I push fully up (past point of resistance, but a hard push to the stopping point of motion), the right blinker will stay on, but the left (down) does not require this much force.

If Left/Right acted the same, I would agree that its just me. But it seems to be different, which makes me believe the contact point of the right blinker vs resistance point are not lined up properly. Its almost every right turn I notice my blinker is not locked, but never have the issues going left.

Please update on what the service center does for you. I'll have to have the mobile guys look at mine, but I'll wait to see if yours gets fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Thanks. Same is for me..
I confirmed after doing some deliberate testing. The problem I'm having is the Right vs Left do not function the same. I can go past the point of resistance on Right (up), and it's hit or miss if the blinker stays on (usually miss). While doing the same amount of force past the point of resistance left (down), locks the blinker on.
If I push fully up (past point of resistance, but a hard push to the stopping point of motion), the right blinker will stay on, but the left (down) does not require this much force.

If Left/Right acted the same, I would agree that its just me. But it seems to be different, which makes me believe the contact point of the right blinker vs resistance point are not lined up properly. Its almost every right turn I notice my blinker is not locked, but never have the issues going left.

Please update on what the service center does for you. I'll have to have the mobile guys look at mine, but I'll wait to see if yours gets fixed.

Glad it's not just me - yours sounds exactly like my issue. I've been notified today that the service center is ordering a new steering control column module. I'm not 100% sure what pieces this actually includes, but once they replace it and I can verify, I'll post an update.

Glad it's not just me - yours sounds exactly like my issue. I've been notified today that the service center is ordering a new steering control column module. I'm not 100% sure what pieces this actually includes, but once they replace it and I can verify, I'll post an update.
VIN 724xx -- mine has this problem, service techs took a look and immediately ordered the part for me. Got a service appt for next week.

Techs said the module has the electronics and stalks for both turn signal and shifter.

• Helpful
Reactions: iaonbb
Service tech just left. She replaced steering control module on my car and the problem was resolved. Blinkers now work properly. She did not indicate any awareness of a software fix for this issue, but she did indicate that Tesla engineers are aware that this problem is affecting some vehicles, as far as she knows replacing the control module is the only fix.

She was not able to resolve my second problem, so I have to make a service appointment for it. Will be interested in thoughts others have on that particular issue.

I was at the SC a couple days ago and pressed two different techs regarding this issue. They both definitively said Tesla now believes it to be a firmware bug and they are working on a fix. I told them that everyone else are getting the stalks replaced; sometimes two or three times until they found one that worked. They would not order me a new one and instead told me to wait for the update. Just wanted to throw it out there as it's completely opposite of what everyone else is being told. I'm hoping they are right as it would save me the hassle of having it replaced but I'm getting impatient for a fix.