Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: literally iced (not ICED) superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a trip to Toronto where I was trying to supercharge at the Sherway Gardens/Etobicoke supercharger. Plug in the car, cord doesn't seem to go all the way in, screen alerts say charging rate reduced, re-insert charge cable, something to that effect. Light is orange on the charge port, and no charging is happening. See a whole bunch of people pull into supercharger spots, try, and then move to another supercharger spot. Some leave in frustration, others keep trying different spots. I called Tesla support, because I've got a 200km trip to get back home, and I've got 100km of range left in the car (which is worth about 50km in real usage). Guy on the phone thinks it's something to do with my car, try power cycles, resets, trunk cord pull to no avail. Then I take a closer look at the supercharger plug, and notice that it looks like there's some ice stuck inside the port preventing the plug from going fully in. Check all of the un-used chargers (and try one other) and they all have various degrees of ice in the supercharger plug. Eventually see someone leaving after charging, and am able to plug in a "clean" supercharger plug into my car and all is well. During all of this, I notice that some of the supercharger cables are left hanging on the floor, others won't actually holster back into their holder. I think ultimately Tesla needs a better design for the plug holder, because it is quite flimsy and easily falls out (especially in the bitter cold). once you've got ice in the plug, I don't know how you'd get it out until the weather warms over freezing (I'm not sticking anything into that plug!!).

So just a PSA for all the Canadians who can't seem to get the supercharger to latch, it may not be your car, it may be the plug itself. Also try extra hard to make sure the plug is re-latched when you're done (but I honestly think this is a design issue, not a user issue). Saw one or two others struggling after I figured it out, tried to pass on the wisdom (after about 40min of phone calls/fiddling with supercharger plugs). Also, the supercharger rate appears to be permanently stuck on the high 49c/min rate for some reason... guess that's my thanks for figuring out why the superchargers don't work. I should charge Tesla a consulting fee hahahaha

I imagine you could pull up perpendicular to the kiosk, roll down your window, and then blast the connector with heat from your dash.

It may even work to just squeeze the connector with your bare hands, just enough heat to get the ice to slide out.

Reactions: Anto
You can often blast snow and ice out with a jet of air from a can of compressed air. It works best when you have the straw which comes taped to the can.

Yes, the holster for Tesla plugs is not the most solid design.

There are actually more problems with CHAdeMO and winter. The length of the cable allows people to leave the plugs buried in snow.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevlan006
I just got back from a trip to Toronto where I was trying to supercharge at the Sherway Gardens/Etobicoke supercharger. Plug in the car, cord doesn't seem to go all the way in, screen alerts say charging rate reduced, re-insert charge cable, something to that effect. Light is orange on the charge port, and no charging is happening. See a whole bunch of people pull into supercharger spots, try, and then move to another supercharger spot. Some leave in frustration, others keep trying different spots. I called Tesla support, because I've got a 200km trip to get back home, and I've got 100km of range left in the car (which is worth about 50km in real usage). Guy on the phone thinks it's something to do with my car, try power cycles, resets, trunk cord pull to no avail. Then I take a closer look at the supercharger plug, and notice that it looks like there's some ice stuck inside the port preventing the plug from going fully in. Check all of the un-used chargers (and try one other) and they all have various degrees of ice in the supercharger plug. Eventually see someone leaving after charging, and am able to plug in a "clean" supercharger plug into my car and all is well. During all of this, I notice that some of the supercharger cables are left hanging on the floor, others won't actually holster back into their holder. I think ultimately Tesla needs a better design for the plug holder, because it is quite flimsy and easily falls out (especially in the bitter cold). once you've got ice in the plug, I don't know how you'd get it out until the weather warms over freezing (I'm not sticking anything into that plug!!).

So just a PSA for all the Canadians who can't seem to get the supercharger to latch, it may not be your car, it may be the plug itself. Also try extra hard to make sure the plug is re-latched when you're done (but I honestly think this is a design issue, not a user issue). Saw one or two others struggling after I figured it out, tried to pass on the wisdom (after about 40min of phone calls/fiddling with supercharger plugs). Also, the supercharger rate appears to be permanently stuck on the high 49c/min rate for some reason... guess that's my thanks for figuring out why the superchargers don't work. I should charge Tesla a consulting fee hahahaha

Carrying a Milwaukie 18 v portable heat gun also works for both your car port or the charger plug. Was mentioned when we had the first cold weather & the latch was freezing. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

• Informative
Reactions: Anto
Carrying a Milwaukie 18 v portable heat gun also works for both your car port or the charger plug. Was mentioned when we had the first cold weather & the latch was freezing. Hopefully a fix is in the works.

There is a redesigned charge port in the works. It's slated for deployment in cold weather regions first once it is ready. Free of charge.

When did they confirm this Tony and do we have to request it? I'm not going into another winter without it that's for sure - being stranded once was enough.

At the last Tesla Owners Club meeting, there were some Tesla reps giving a presentation. They stated the information I provided above. No ETA was given other than "soon".

I think we would have to request it in a service request stating that you are having the frozen port issues.

Yes, I posted the use of a cordless Milwaukee M18 fuel heatgun works well. A 5AH battery lasts for about 20 mins and I got mine from KMS Tools for $150 plus tax. Home Depot has them for $160 tool only. I carry two 5AH batteries and the heat gun in my trunk, so no cords to fiddle around with and it heats up to 875 degrees F in a few seconds. This will melt any ice on your doors, windows, door handles, charge port, and now Supercharger plug in a jiffy.

Another tip is to bring a 50:50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water in a spray bottle or in the case of you East Coast dwellers in this polar vortex maybe a 75:25 mix since pure alcohol freezes at -88 degree C and when you spray it on ice it will melt it and turn the ice into slush.

Glad it is a balmy 5 degrees C and pouring rain the Greater Vancouver area today. This West coast weather doesn’t help my chances of selling my Model S winter tires though.

Attachments

• 941B8F9A-AD07-4C2B-BD8C-A662EBFA606D.jpeg
    941B8F9A-AD07-4C2B-BD8C-A662EBFA606D.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 97
Yup Sherway was a PiTA for me also, I cannot rem the day but last weekend we had the snow fall and wind. I plugged in and was getting an orange light then saw the ice and crap.
Moved and same thing then another and another. I then went to the other side where the wind was not blowing and found one that was not clogged,
And as far as the cables not holding it is true but not just Sherway.
One time I put the cable back and I know it locked in but just as I hopped into my car I heard “thunk” and sure enough the cable fell out and scratched up my back bumper I was POed to say the least. Went back plugged it in and it kept slipping out , just as I thought it was back.....it hit my number a second time lol.

• Informative
Reactions: corlaandstan