Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Pirelli PZ4 sport tires - steer clear of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
As a PSA - got a set of Pirelli PZ4 sport tires because they were extremely lightweight (21 pounds), and figured if they worked well with porsche, they would do decent with an M3P... Those tires have to be hot to get sticky, like asphalt well over 100 degrees and tires way above that kind of hot. Outside of that small operating environment, they are slick as sh1t. Tried running lower pressures that recommended just for launching, and nothing seemed to help, there was always enormous amounts of traction control nerfing the power output or wheel spin in track mode. Luckily discount tire was cool even though I put 2k miles on them and they are exchanging for a set of ps4s. Hate to add the extra weight back on the car, but if your ass end is sliding around on-ramps, don't really have much of a choice.

So I spoke with a pirelli rep at the track this morning, and he said the sidewalls were too soft to be using on a 4000 pound car on the pz4 sports. A lot of the weight they cut from the design, came from the sidewall. I figured if the load rating was good, they would be ok... he said load rating doesn't mean the tires will perform similarly between the cars they were designed for, and cars excessively heavier. He also mentioned that I was probably getting shitty mileage with them in addition to being sloppy, which I was... Averaging well above 350whmi just driving on the highway.

Anyways, that was the semi-technical answer. Ps4s are working fine, and I should've just went with them from the start.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus