Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - Referral Link May Not Work in Safari Anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look this isn't a big deal but if you, like me, sometimes pass your referral link to friends and rack up some free supercharging you may find this interesting.

As you know, for the referral to work you *must* start and complete the purchase in one go starting with your referral link.

Apple's Safari browser is quite strict about tracking and privacy and because the referral is cookie/tracking based this will cause the referral to fail.

I only discovered this because a friend of mine literally came to my house with his credit card so I could buy a model 3 for him, which we did from my computer with my referral link. Upon delivery when neither of us got the supercharger perks. It has worked in Safari in the past but not this time and Safari has since been upgraded to V14 to prevent tracking by default (Sep 2020). Tesla confirmed they couldn't see any referral on their end on the order.

TL DR : If you want referral perks, use any other browser than Safari 14+ and make sure cookies / privacy settings are lax.

I purchased via a local showroom and only texted my SA about 48hrs prior to delivery (after getting a VIN) and gave her the last section of the referral code I used (NAME1234...) and it all worked out just fine. Seems easier for all involved that way.

I purchased via a local showroom and only texted my SA about 48hrs prior to delivery (after getting a VIN) and gave her the last section of the referral code I used (NAME1234...) and it all worked out just fine. Seems easier for all involved that way.
Yeah, I didn't realize you had to use the link, I figured it'd be a coupon code during order so I missed it. I called and they added it to my account just fine.

Just as a note, you can see when someone has ordered a Tesla using your referral code, it shows up in the App under "My Referrals" and says their name and "Ordered". Then for me, it changed to "Delivered" and the miles were on my account within a hour or two of them picking up the car.

And like YeahThatGuy said, one friend was able to add my referral code a few days before delivery, even though he had ordered his Y months earlier without the code. It showed up in the App shortly thereafter.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808