TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

PSA: Significantly reduce range charge time with max battery power

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by AWDtsla, Mar 26, 2017.

1. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Range charging can be painfully slow, for me with a garage temp of around 50F charging current starts tapering from 80A at around 92% down to 5A near completion. This means charging from 90-100% is 1.5+ hours, where-as charging from 80-90% only takes < 30 minutes.

Last time I had to range charge I was in a hurry, because I forgot to set range charge the night before, so I decided in whatever form I should attempt to pull 80A from the wall until I had to leave. So as the car dropped under ~70A max battery heater went on first, and when the charging rate dropped under 80A again, the cabin heater went on. The result was surprisingly that in 40 minutes I had charged well past 99%, and was still pulling ~26A to charge the pack alone at that SoC, which in the non-heated case would have been around 8-12A. I had flipped the two heaters off several times momentarily to check the charging-only current, but I imagine the whole process may have gone faster if I just flipped it on earlier and left it on until completion.

You would imagine that Tesla would have built this functionality into the car already, especially for you pour souls that didn't pay $25k extra for a "max battery power" button.

• Helpful x 1
  2. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

That's awesome that the Max Heater cars can do this in a pinch, but from my readings about battery degradation, heat is the biggest enemy, so I'd reserve those uses for times of need.

3. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

It doesn't even get close to max battery ready. The pack heater is way too small to do that. If I recall correctly it still said something like 50 minutes until ready when I unplugged.

• Informative x 1
  4. sorka

sorka Active Member

That's kind of strange. I wonder if the P90D is different that the P85D? I always have range mode on and when I charge to 100% on occasion it pulls the maximum 80 amps right up to about 98% when it starts to taper, but even then it hits 99% a few minutes later with a slight reduction. After that, it drops dramatically and can take 30 minutes for it to finish charging..most of that time it says "calculating remaining charge".

5. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Likely. My car has always had a sharp taper.