Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - Simple Fix for headlights on during the day or front camera not seeing clearly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joebruin77

Dec 23, 2018
Encino, CA
In case your headlights automatically turn on during the day unexpectedly, or if your front camera doesn't see clearly, I discovered a possible cause and a very simple fix.

For months, my headlights would randomly turn on during the day in bright sunlight. Also, my front camera would not see the cars around me clearly. For example, while driving on the freeway, sometimes the car in front of me would appear on my center screen in the animation, sometimes not. Sometimes it would first appear and then suddenly disappear from the animation, even though the car was definitely still there. I would also get frequent "front camera blinded or blocked" messages.

I took the car to my local SC (which I love and find to be excellent overall). They initially told me that a software update would probably fix the problem. Unfortunately, this was not correct.

I noticed that there was a film on the INSIDE of the clear plastic cover over my front camera. I keep my car very clean, including the windshield. So the film was definitely not on the outside. Tesla Mobile Service came to my home yesterday. They removed the plastic cover, cleaned the inside of it, removed all of the murky film, and put the cover back on. I am happy to report that all of the above mentioned problems are gone. Cleaning the film on the inside of the cover did the trick.

I share this as a PSA in case any other Tesla drivers are experiencing something similar.

Thank you,
Joe

Last edited:
Thanks, @joebruin77

Your thread inspired me to get off my arse and remove/clean the windshield camera myself.
It was actually pretty easy. I’d say about 30 minutes from start-to-finish. Now, the backside of the windshield area is finally spotless & squeaky clean!! I even wiped/cleaned the small camera lens itself.

Bonus tip: I think many folks assume that they only need to clean the backside surface of the windshield (because that is where the dirty film/haze is most visible/obvious). However, I think some of the film/haze can also be on the surface of the camera lens. So, while you’re in there, you might as well wipe/clean the camera lens.

I know… photos or it didn’t happen. So, here are some before, during, and after photos.

3E03522B-9AEE-4EE8-A6E6-BDF0A7A419AC.jpeg

58FACEB3-ACF4-4DDF-96F2-44CDE4D7382A.jpeg

0BAD20AA-9F4F-4A51-AE88-17A1B442357E.jpeg

Thanks!!

Now, if only the backside of the rear glass (surrounding the 3rd brake light) was as easy to access.
I have a few soap/water lines in that area from when I had my rear glass tinted. I guess the installer never used/tucked a rope or towel in this area to prevent water from getting into the brake light cavity. Some major trim removal is necessary to access this area. So, I’ve not bothered do it.

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Now, if only the backside of the rear glass (surrounding the 3rd brake light) was as easy to access.
I have a few soap/water lines in that area from when I had my rear glass tinted. I guess the installer never used/tucked a rope or towel in this area to prevent water from getting into the brake light cavity. Some major trim removal is necessary to access this area. So, I’ve not bothered do it.
ditto! I feel your pain.

Now, if only the backside of the rear glass (surrounding the 3rd brake light) was as easy to access. I have a few soap/water lines in that area from when I had my rear glass tinted. I guess the installer never used/tucked a rope or towel in this area to prevent water from getting into the brake light cavity. Some major trim removal is necessary to access this area. So, I’ve not bothered do it.
Yes its a complete PITA. Do it when the time comes to replace the trunk wiring harness, as all of the back has to come apart (thx for a great design Tesla). And careful with the foam around the stop light (else you will get terrible light bleed, like someone posted about on here a while back).