Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA, Supercharging stations are NOT free parking spots!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it was this labor day weekend. Maybe not. Who knows, but what I do know is there are unattended fully charged teslas plugged into superchargers. How do I know if they are fully charged? Well when I arrived with around 50% SOC, plugged in to a shared stall, I was pulling max power (~280A) right from the beginning and it stayed that way pretty much the full 15-20 minutes I was there. I don't mind if you are locally charging, but please move your car when you are done. In fact, time your walking arrival so when you get to your car, you are at the SOC you need to get on going. I am sure this is not the majority of this forum users, but please help spread the word.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I wonder if you can call Tesla customer support and have them contact the owners...

We've been lucky, and have only encountered this situation one time - and that was when the supercharger had most of the stations blocked by construction equipment, and the only 2 operating chargers were in use - with one of the cars fully charged. The owner was at a nearby restaurant, and wasn't in any hurry to get back to the car after it was charged.

I think the best way is public shaming. They need to let us know who is supercharging and what their capacity is when arriving to the station using an in car app. This way we all know what the SOC for all the plugged in car on arrival or slightly before. Then allow waiting teslas to ping fully charged or close to fully charged tesla owners through the tesla app letting them know people are waiting and they should get going!

Reactions: RobertF and Boatguy
How do you know where the owners where? When I use a supercharger I am usually eating at a restaurant nearby. I go back to the car when I am finished.

Right we don't know where the owners are, but at least Tesla can allow us to ping the users because we know most, if not all, of the tesla owners use the tesla app. Or better yet, allow us to send an email to them if they do not have the phone app. The point is only nearby tesla cars can see the information about the charging tesla currently plugged in at the supercharging stations. I am also assuming the owners are close by because if they are not, I am sure a lot of tesla owners would be pissed. People who leave their teslas at a supercharging station and then proceed to take a flight out of the state for a few days should be banned for ever using any supercharging station for life.

Right we don't know where the owners are, but at least Tesla can allow us to ping the users because we know most, if not all, of the tesla owners use the tesla app. Or better yet, allow us to send an email to them if they do not have the phone app. The point is only nearby tesla cars can see the information about the charging tesla currently plugged in at the supercharging stations. I am also assuming the owners are close by because if they are not, I am sure a lot of tesla owners would be pissed. People who leave their teslas at a supercharging station and then proceed to take a flight out of the state for a few days should be banned for ever using any supercharging station for life.
This entirely within Tesla's capabilities. They know where the car is, SOC, etc., and with access to the GPS, they know where the owner's cell phone is located. Pretty easy to send an alert to the cell phone.

I agree that ranting here won't solve the immediate problem, but keeping the rants going let's Tesla know it's an ongoing problem that they need to address. Tesla, as well as numerous bloggers and news aggregators regularly scan the topics here.

Tesla has all the information needed to bring some order to the Supercharging experience, it just needs to get to the top ten on their list.

Last time I was at the Mt Shasta Supercharger, I was having dinner inside and got a notification from my App
when I was done charging.

If people would just use the App it will nag them...

Then they need to LISTEN to the nag...but if the nag also said

"There are other Teslas waiting to charge", that would be great.

Telsa, time to do this addition.

Reactions: cmc5dc
You are right, they are not free parking spots.
People paid for them as part of their car purchase

You also have no idea if the person had a really bad burrito and is dealing with it.

I really wish people would be more tolerant and positive rather than casting asparagus at people.

...or the owner can leave a note in the windshield with his phone number on it so they can be contacted when others are waiting. Last weekend, there were 3 other of the 6 in use when I pulled in. I left my number on the dash and also watched my phone for notice that the charging was done. We finished dinner about the same time the charge was finished and by the time I got back to the supercharger, I was the only one there.

I know the density is less in VA but this solution will also work in the higher density areas if we all are conscious of each others needs. This is a simple approach and does not require another upgrade that will arrive "soon". We need to find solutions for problems our selves and let Tesla work on the bigger picture problems.

Gotta be more careful...almost tripped getting off my soapbox

...or the owner can leave a note in the windshield with his phone number on it so they can be contacted when others are waiting. Last weekend, there were 3 other of the 6 in use when I pulled in. I left my number on the dash and also watched my phone for notice that the charging was done. We finished dinner about the same time the charge was finished and by the time I got back to the supercharger, I was the only one there.

I know the density is less in VA but this solution will also work in the higher density areas if we all are conscious of each others needs. This is a simple approach and does not require another upgrade that will arrive "soon". We need to find solutions for problems our selves and let Tesla work on the bigger picture problems.

Gotta be more careful...almost tripped getting off my soapbox
Not everyone is comfortable leaving their numbers for everyone else to see.