Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Tesla loaner from Enterprise has cruise, but not adaptive (ACC)! Close call..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ski_

Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2017
Bay Area
I picked up a loaner from Tesla Service (Fremont) and I received an MS 75d (from enterprise apparently)— Awesome! I was expecting a ICE! :D

So far so good— I hoped on the freeway and I found that the AP2 car did not have EAP enabled— not a big deal. It did have cruise control.

I set curise and enjoy an easy drive for about 5miles. Traffic began to build suddenly and the car did not slow!? Super close call. Turns out— it has cruse control, but it’s not adaptive!! This is an accident just waiting to happen (especially for folks that never new of a Tesla without it— like me). They really probably should have mentioned this at Tesla Service upon taking the car just to be safe (I’m not implying they are at fault— it would have just been helpful). Regardless— I don’t want this to happen to anyone else— hence the PSA. ;)

Last edited:
Driver responsibility includes understanding the functionality of a vehicle (any vehicle) before using it.
The intent of the post was not to blame folks, but rather to inform others through sharing— hence the PSA notice.

I just edited the post a bit to make it clearer that I’m not indicating Tesla is at any fault for a driver not understanding a vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes, about a month ago, same thing happened to me. It is because it does not have even EAP which is required to get TACC.
Yeah— after looking at the customization options on tesla.com— it does not even list ACC as part of EAP (nor does it list it as a standard feature either). Clearly EAP is required— I’m surprised as it is a common feature in so many cars these days.

Last edited:
I picked up a loaner from Tesla Service (Fremont) and I received an MS 75d (from enterprise apparently)— Awesome! I was expecting a ICE! :D

So far so good— I hoped on the freeway and I found that the AP2 car did not have EAP enabled— not a big deal. It did have cruise control.

I set curise and enjoy an easy drive for about 5miles. Traffic began to build suddenly and the car did not slow!? Super close call. Turns out— it has cruse control, but it’s not adaptive!! This is an accident just waiting to happen (especially for folks that never new of a Tesla without it— like me). They really probably should have mentioned this at Tesla Service upon taking the car just to be safe (I’m not implying they are at fault— it would have just been helpful). Regardless— I don’t want this to happen to anyone else— hence the PSA. ;)
Yesterday I got I a Mode S 75 from Burbank Service Center. When I got the car he told me it was an Enterprise rental. I pulled the stock and noticed it was white when engaged. I quickly disengaged realizing this might not have EAP as I didn’t see a steering wheel icon. I commented to my wife someone with EAP will crash this car thinking it will stop. Glad you posted this and I can confirm.

Given the many variants and options in a Tesla, Tesla should make the driver aware of what the car has or does not have with regard to EAP or any driving functionality. I’d agree with @Mediocrates but without Tesla saying anything it was initially hard to tell and it only takes a small mistake or misunderstanding to cause an accident and people can get hurt or worse in accidents.

What happened to the P100D loaners?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash and Ski_
F7439961-5522-4B0E-84F7-8FAFA41689C2.jpeg
Hopefully the next person who gets this car will see my message I left them

Got one today as well without EAP.

Personally, I'm quite livid about it. Tesla is renting out vehicles through their service center without EAP. There is no excuse for that when its a simple software feature.

Either they need to make Enteprise pay for the feature and enable on these vehicles, or they need to do the right thing and enable/disable for users based on if they had/don't have EAP in their owned vehicle.

Personally, I'm quite livid about it. Tesla is renting out vehicles through their service center without EAP. There is no excuse for that when its a simple software feature.

Either they need to make Enteprise pay for the feature and enable on these vehicles, or they need to do the right thing and enable/disable for users based on if they had/don't have EAP in their owned vehicle.

When I discussed it with a manager at Enterprise she tried to explain it as some sort of liability issue. Didn’t make sense to me, unless it was for renters that don’t know how to use TACC. I just wrote it off as "fear of the unknown".

Would you rather Enterprise supply you with a ICE car?

I doubt Tesla has any knowledge about who is renting which car to be able to mess with the EAP activation. (Which they shouldn't be doing anyhow sine it isn't their car, unless Enterprise authorizes them to do that.)

Would you rather Enterprise supply you with a ICE car?

I doubt Tesla has any knowledge about who is renting which car to be able to mess with the EAP activation. (Which they shouldn't be doing anyhow sine it isn't their car, unless Enterprise authorizes them to do that.)
I got mine directly from the Santa Clara service center.

Enterprise was not involved at all, aside from signing an Enterprise form and it being their car.

I got an Enterprise S75D when I had my car in for service in Palo Alto last month. This was way better than the Cadillac I got the last time.:) So far as I can tell, Enterprise has a whole pile of bottom of the line Model S's for rental. Part of being bottom of the line is no auto-pilot enabled. At least it wasn't speed limited.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah— after looking at the customization options on tesla.com— it does not even list ACC as part of EAP (nor does it list it as a standard feature either). Clearly EAP is required— I’m surprised as it is a common feature in so many cars these days.

Ya seems to depend on manufacturer. I think it is standard on a Toyota and yet a option on a Mercedes... Amazing how fast you get used to these features though. Really liking the auto pilot now that I have it especially in traffic.