Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA TezLab App & Software Very Buggy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed up for Tezlab and created an account back in early May. It has worked off and on since but mostly off. They recently sent out an email encouraging users to retry the application and to sign in to see the new Dashboard. I went ahead and signed in to give it another look even though I am using TeslaFi that has been working very well for me. I found it was missing many trips and dates and its data was incorrect in many instances so I made a pdf copy of the Dashboard and sent it with an email to illustrate the errors. In some cases it had me doing over 100mph, over 500 mph and even over 1900mph. My Tesla M3 is pretty good but not quite that good. They immediately let me know they were cancelling my account even though I had not requested that. I expected them to apologize for their faulty data and to thank me for pointing it out to them and to let me know they were fixing it. I responded to them to go ahead and cancel my account since I really didn't need it and TeslaFi does a much better and more accurate job. I was really surprised by their attitude and the inaccuracy of their data given that Ben Sullins is now part of their team and he is such a "data guy."

I have attached a copy for your perusal and amusement.

Attachments

• Dash | TezLab.pdf
    103 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: Joshan
OK, that is impressive. Made me go back and look at my history to see if anything like that was happening to me. Fortunately not. In case anyone is interested I turned the PDF into something I could post below.

Trip | Distance Driven | Range Depleted | Duration / Avg. Temp / Avg. Speed | Trip Efficiency

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 3.38.57 PM.png

Last edited:
I just posted in another thread about the problems with TezLab, my example was the display information. In my case why I always was confused about how much range I am losing out of my control:
Image-1.jpeg
Image-1-1.jpeg

Really 26% of my charge is lost? As much as 17 miles a day? My point was that TezLab records any time not driving as "Phantom" loss. What?? If I turn on the AC or heat 10 minutes before I start the car is that drain 'phantom' or obvious? I suggested they add idle tracking.

But there are several other issues with TezLab, I recently watched a great video on YouTube where Matt Ferrell was questioning some of the TezLab interface designs. Why are graphics presented w/o labels? Why is charging tracked in a bar chart and not a line graph?

As interesting as it is to see all the numbers, and for it to be available on my phone, my pad, and both my computer and car browser, it could really use some rethinking. I don't want it to look like TeslaFi, they too have a bad presentation of their data. Fi seems to think you want to see EVERYTHING in one view. Lab thinks you are happy with getting an impression of what is going on. I am firmly in that camp but wish I got a better impression from looking at TezLab's interface.

-Randy

TeslaFi is far from perfect but their data appears to be pretty accurate. I will take accurate data over a fancy screen. The only data issue I had with TeslaFi is when I changed vehicles and wanted to purge the older vehicles data so it was not intermixed with the newer vehicle. They were unable to do that so I still have trips that were made by my buyer on the car I no longer owned intermixed with trips from my new car. Fortunately that is now far enough in the past that it doesn't impact my cars data too much. The interface does not give you much ability to control your data, purge data or filter it in ways other than the ones they have created. On the other hand, TezLab has such a bad attitude that I have no need to use their app nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Looks like I may have backed the wrong horse. For much of this month, I have been unable to get Tezlab to let my car sleep. I complained to them about 10 days ago but their response was No Problems Here, yet a simple Logout in their app fixes my issue. I test by setting an alarm for 7:30 am and 8 pm and taking a screenshot of my range. For most of the last year that showed about 2 miles loss after each shot. This month it's been about 10 miles each shot. Signed out it's between 0-1 ever 12 hours. So 20 miles a day eats up my whole battery in very few days. That seems silly. My car has the same amount of gas it had last year (when I bought the Tesla and stopped driving my gas cars).

TezLab suggested that I turn on their Nite Mode where it stops polling 8 pm to 5 am. Seems silly as I drive during those hours AND I still lose all that power during the other 17 hours of the day. I even tested again this week when they released an update and it still has the problem. Logged out I don't get credit for all the Superchargers I visit, how can I stay the Mayor? All the other features are no longer tallying up, perhaps it would have been better to have gotten TeslaFi, all this time later.

-Randy

TeslaFi is still the most accurate and now has many added features including auto activating sentry mode based on location or disabling it based on location (like home). Stats is a very nice app but up until the last release today, it kept the car from sleeping. I am still testing the newest version. I will post if it now allows the car to sleep. I find that even with a usb stick in and camera icon to red dot, with TeslaFI the car can sleep for 18.5 hours straight and lose about 1.12 miles. I have closed Stats but in the past it was still running even if closed. I did not log out. So far it has let the car sleep for over an hour.

I am very happy with TezLab and after my last report I should have followed up. Very soon after they instituted a very stable sleep mode. It has become the epitome of a well-behaved app. Today they added a PRO version of the app. The difference with the free version is they will no longer keep all your old data, but they are keeping much more of it. The Pro version is $30/yr, so less than TeslaFi