Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA... this Canadian Tire can't lift Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rypalmer

Aug 22, 2014
Canada
Canadian Tire is a laggard when it comes to EV adoption. I get that EV's are still relatively niche, but they could at least make some effort to keep up. It shouldn't take a marketing genius to make the connection between EVs and higher disposable incomes. I digress.

Anyway... despite my own concerns, my car went to Canadian Tire (Lakeshore East, Toronto) this morning for a minor service more out of convenience than anything. Since it was going on the lift regardless, I requested they rotate the tires. I recently surpassed 10,000km in the first 10 weeks of ownership, and it was going to be a convenient time to do so.

I coached them over the phone yesterday while booking the appointment, and this morning in person, regarding the lift points on the car, explaining just how important it was to lift it correctly. They were completely sure it wouldn't be an issue, despite my concerns.

It was an issue. They called me mid-morning to say they can't hoist the car. They explained it as a combination of the points being too far apart, and the car being too wide. I suspect it's more the former than the latter, since they would often service plenty of wider vehicles.

I have no idea if this affects all Canadian Tires or just ones of this vintage.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12 and Footbag
On most larger cars you don't need to hoist right from the edges, you can find decent places closer in (for example axle and suspension components)
The Model S is a VERY wide vehicle, and when you combine that with no way to hoist except right at the edges, it's quite likely they don't have a lift wide enough to do it.
The good news was that they told you that instead of hoisting it improperly and doing tens of thousands of dollars of damage.
I have no problem with a company willing to admit their limitations. And it's understandable that they wouldn't know when booking it, because they probably haven't worked on a Tesla before, very few places have, and telling you it's not a problem is their default reaction because they've likely never been in this position before.

You couldn't pay me to take even a $400 car to Crappy Tire, let alone a Tesla! Wow you're brave. FWIW I've had the Costco tire center work on my car, no problems after making some calls before putting my car on the lift to make sure on lifting, weight, etc.

I've heard way too many horror stories about Canadian Tire auto service to ever set foot in there.

I agree with that last comment! Crappy tire has messed up more cars over the decades than I can count. However I can understand their reservations. I was near a mr.lube last week and changed my 21" to the stock 19's for fall/winter and they had quite the challenge ensuring the lift points were accurate. Ie. 4 guys on one car lol.

Last time I was at a Crappy Tire for tire service (not with my Tesla!) they underinflated three of the tires by 10 pounds, and overinflated one of the fronts by 20 pounds! Don't trust them as far as you can throw them.

Weird that they can't lift it. I have a two post lift that is quite capable of lifting a Model S properly. It's nothing fancy.

Any suggestions for alignment ? I'm in Windsor and not close to tesla service .
I took it to belle tire across the border and they couldn't do it, after putting on the machine they said they needed "special tools" because the underbody is all sealed up.

LOL @ underbody sealed up. The suspension is just as visible on a Model S as it is on any other car. Corvette is just as "sealed up", but no one has any trouble adjusting it. More likely it didn't fit on their machine or something.

Called Kal Tire and they said they can't do it because of the air suspension. I told them about Jack mode but they said they still can't do it .
Never thought it would be this hard to get someone to take my money .
Any suggestions ?

My local garage in Kanata has been changing my tires for two years. When I first approached them they studied to determine how to do it properly. Everyone at the garage turned up to watch how it should be done. Have not had a problem since then. I would recommend them to anyone. They have been servicing my Old 1993 Lexus for years.

I have the rims/tires/rotation done by KalTire here in Toronto. No problems. They are always thrilled to see the Tesla come in and they treat it so well I have zero concerns.

Ditto.

I've heard way too many horror stories about Canadian Tire auto service to ever set foot in there.

Depends on the location, I guess. I've always had very good service from my local CanTire,but have never taken my Tesla there.

Called Kal Tire and they said they can't do it because of the air suspension. I told them about Jack mode but they said they still can't do it

Very odd. My local Kal Tire has been dealing with my air suspension-equipped Model S since 2013. Lots of cars these days have air suspension systems.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Lifting a Tesla is not the same as most vehicles "as most of you may know" , fear of damaging the battery is number one for a shop. My manager was very clear that the shop insurance will not cover the battery if I mess up, I am a auto tech at a Ford dealer and I lifted my model S for the first time a few weeks ago. All the hoists but the two of newer small hoist will not lift the car... The arms must be very low to the ground and contact all four lift pads. I could see how most places would just not want to deal with this at all. But any higher-end car dealer "Audi" "BMW" will all have low profile hoists.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and brucet999
Lifting a Tesla is not the same as most vehicles "as most of you may know" , fear of damaging the battery is number one for a shop. My manager was very clear that the shop insurance will not cover the battery if I mess up, I am a auto tech at a Ford dealer and I lifted my model S for the first time a few weeks ago. All the hoists but the two of newer small hoist will not lift the car... The arms must be very low to the ground and contact all four lift pads. I could see how most places would just not want to deal with this at all. But any higher-end car dealer "Audi" "BMW" will all have low profile hoists.
Ok, so, in other words, bring a fancy car to a fancy shop. Got it.

Ok, so, in other words, bring a fancy car to a fancy shop. Got it.
If I hadn't asked them and were reassured over and over on the phone and then in person that "Yes of course it would be no problem to lift your car" like I was some kind of idiot for asking, maybe I wouldn't have brought it up. Rotating the tires didn't seem beyond Canadian Tire's expertise otherwise.

Unfortunately it is sometimes. The last time I took any car there, about 10 years ago, I asked them to install 4 previously-used tires on my FWD car and they put the two that clearly had less tread left on them on the front...
That's the correct place for them. Better tires on the front give the illusion that you have stopping power to match acceleration.

Unfortunately it is sometimes. The last time I took any car there, about 10 years ago, I asked them to install 4 previously-used tires on my FWD car and they put the two that clearly had less tread left on them on the front...
That is the correct way to do it because if you put the lower tread depth tires on the rear you risk having the car spin out in wet conditions.