Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Trunk closing bumper damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found bumper damage on the each corner of where the trunk must have hit the bumper when closing the trunk. Looks like the trunk bumpers didn't stop a hard trunk slam so be careful.

Paint is slightly damaged like a rub or light scratch. I think it might have slightly damaged the corners of the trunk edge.

Pics attached. Excuse dirty car:p
It looks like I have a small paint chip on the left side trunk

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_093328.jpg
    IMG_20190225_093328.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_20190225_093404.jpg
    IMG_20190225_093404.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 446
  • Informative
Reactions: mmccking
Pics attached. Excuse dirty car:p
It looks like I have a small paint chip on the left side trunk

Do you feel like you closed it especially hard?

In any event this is a bad design. The vehicle alignment should be such that even if the bump-stops are at their minimum protrusion there wouldn't be enough minimal gapping for this to ever happen.

Get ready for a fight though as I doubt Tesla will see things that way.

Do you feel like you closed it especially hard?

In any event this is a bad design. The vehicle alignment should be such that even if the bump-stops are at their minimum protrusion there wouldn't be enough minimal gapping for this to ever happen.

Get ready for a fight though as I doubt Tesla will see things that way.

I've "thrown" it closed from the handle, but never just slammed it.

I checked the two big bumpers on the trunk in the center. They're not adjustable. It looks like a good fit when shut. I can probably adjust the side bumpers slightly.

I doubt Tesla will do anything. I just had it in for the third time last week for the left turn signal thing. It sticks about 5% of the time. They claim it's working and I depress it too hard which may be true but I argue it's too sensitive then. They won't replace it again.

I think they should fix this under warranty. What kind of car says that it cant handle a hard shut trunk or door? Of course there are extremes where hulk hogan might shatter the window if he slammed your door, but come on!

Last edited:
I've "thrown" it closed from the handle, but never just slammed it.

I checked the two big bumpers on the trunk in the center. They're not adjustable. It looks like a good fit when shut. I can probably adjust the side bumpers slightly.

I doubt Tesla will do anything. I just had it in for the third time last week for the left turn signal thing. It sticks about 5% of the time. They claim it's working and I depress it too hard which may be true but I argue it's too sensitive then. They won't replace it again.

Well if it makes you feel any better I've had my steering control module replaced and about 5% of the time when I push all the way down on the stalk to signal for a right turn the signal resets after 3 blinks like when I do the 1/2 press.

Reactions: agreif
Stopped by the service center and they're referring me to their preferred body shop.

They couldn't identify what was causing it. Suggested the rear bumper was shifting when the car was in motion causing it to rub. They wanted the body shop to provide some insight. Their tech claimed he had a BMW do the same thing.

Good news is they're going to fix it.
Bad news it needs fixed and requires body work.

Reactions: SJC3
Stopped by the service center and they're referring me to their preferred body shop.

They couldn't identify what was causing it. Suggested the rear bumper was shifting when the car was in motion causing it to rub. They wanted the body shop to provide some insight. Their tech claimed he had a BMW do the same thing.

Good news is they're going to fix it.
Bad news it needs fixed and requires body work.
Does it still happen after they fixed it? I brought it last time and it's still happening after they "addressed" it.