Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - use quote function when responding to people in threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
This problem seems to be rampant here so I thought I'd make a thread to remind people that;

• When you are responding to someone, use the quote feature.
  • This will create a notification for the user you are responding to so they are aware you responded to them, without this they might never see your response and not be able to respond to your post.
  • When you don't do this it's not always clear who you are responding to.
  • What's more, you look like a loon yelling in an empty room since in many cases there are multiple persons you "might" have been responding to.
This concludes your friendly public service announcement about basic forum etiquette for newbies.

When you are responding to someone, use the quote feature.

When you are quoting someone, is it ok to fix any typos in their quote? It's an internal struggle I have - on one hand, any quote should be left unaltered; on the other hand, my OCD will not let me post something knowing there is a typo. Or do I just bracket any corrected typo?

When you are quoting someone, is it ok to fix any typos in their quote? It's an internal struggle I have - on one hand, any quote should be left unaltered; on the other hand, my OCD will not let me post something knowing there is a typo. Or do I just bracket any corrected typo?
I, sometimes, correct an obvious or embarrassing typo in quotes (if I like the person)... or sometimes I create them on purpose! :mad: :p

I don't know what the etiquette is but I usually bold the corrected text and put in a (sic) or I will use strikeout to correct the word.

This problem seems to be rampant here so I thought I'd make a thread to remind people that;

• When you are responding to someone, use the quote feature.
  • This will create a notification for the user you are responding to so they are aware you responded to them, without this they might never see your response and not be able to respond to your post.
  • When you don't do this it's not always clear who you are responding to.
  • What's more, you look like a loon yelling in an empty room since in many cases there are multiple persons you "might" have been responding to.
This concludes your friendly public service announcement about basic forum etiquette for newbies.

I, sometimes, correct an obvious or embarrassing typo in quotes (if I like the person)... or sometimes I create them on purpose! :mad: :p

You can always [sic] them.

I don't know what the etiquette is but I usually bold the corrected text and put in a (sic) or I will use strikeout to correct the word.

Should also add - Use multi quote instead of replying to multiple people in separate posts.

I am guilty of this myself but it's often because I respond to the first post before I realize that there were additional responses...

That and I'm too lazy to go back and cut/paste it all back together into a multi-quote.

Using @+ username also notifies the member that you are referring to them, like @voip-ninja.

Yes @BerTX that's a great alternative way of responding to someone or speaking "to them" in a post in which they are not being directly quoted.
Am I doing it right? :confused: